8800gt install question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by amtctt, Dec 29, 2008.

1. amtctt macrumors regular

Just ordered a 8800gt for my 1st gen macpro. Have most Leopard. Will i need to install drivers for the 8800gt? or is it already part of Leopard? And if not, are they on an install disc? And i'm running XP 32bit. Will i need to install drivers in XP as well or were they included in bootcamp? thanks.

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

OK.. I don't wanna burst your bubble but I hope you've ordered the correct card, as there's two 8800GT's. One's for the older MacPro and the other is for the more recent MacPro (early 2008), on the specifications they're both identical but the firmware is different. The newer card doesn't work on the older MacPro.

Using the card in any Leopard system should work just fine without installing additional drivers (assuming it's 10.5.2 or newer). Installing ta card in wondows is simple, just goto nVidia's site for the latest drivers, one's on the MacOSX DVD are older.

3. JollyRogers macrumors regular

If you are running Leopard 10.5.2 or above, you should be fine and not need any drivers for the card. Hopefully you ordered the 8800GT for the 1st gen MP. I suggest downloading the latest stable NVidia drivers for windowsXP from NVidia's website and using those for your win install.

Edit: Ultra musta been replying same time as me :)

4. amtctt thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, appreciate the help, and yes i was aware that i needed to get the 1st gen one. i actually went to an apple store in town in hopes to score one and i got excited when the salesman came out of the back with a box only to be disappointed to find it was for the newer mac pros. So, i just ordered it.

5. daveIT macrumors member

I did this. Like the guy said just download the drivers from Nvidia. I did that and then the Apple Update stuff popped up in XP. I updated and it messed the drivers up so I had to download the again. That card pretty much rules. I played COD World at War at max and it runs sweet.

Mac Pro 2.66 2GB w/ 8800GT

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

See... What I would of done is Install all the drivers from the Apple OS DVD then proceed to upgrade the nVidia drivers from their site. But I'd manually uninstall the old gfx drivers first, before re-installing the new updated versions.