8800GT Mac Pro 1.1 card defect?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Satch, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Satch macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I've got a problem with a 8800GT which I bought second hand for my Mac Pro 1.1. When I install the card in the primary pci-express slot the cooling fan of the 8800GT revs to full speed but there is no image on the screen.. If I connect it without the extra power connector the fan doesn't spin up at all and ofcourse there isn't any image. If I use it as secondary card it does show up in about this mac, but only with minimal info. Type number and stuff.

The numbers on the backside of the card are:
    *J5833028F16YA* 630-9368 CHINA (on a sticker)
    and on the PCB:
    180-10393-0002-B00

If I google these numbers it appears that I have bought the right model 8800GT with the 32BIT EFI (The guy which I bought it from didn't know for what model it was).

Also there is a small sticker with (ICT, flash, Mac-1, D-link) and colored ticks beneath them.

Do you think it is defect or is there any other possibility?

System:

Mac Pro 1.1
    2 x 2,66 Ghz
    6GB memory
    OSX 10.7.1

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Corrected ;)

But PCB number is the same for EFI32 and EFI64 cards...:confused:

It looks like you've bought EFI64 card. If seller doesn't know which version it is, he also doesn't know if the card is working...

First you need to determine what version you have:
    - dump the ROM off the card (in DOS, Win - Bootcamp, or OS X - Nvidia flasher)
    - open it in any text editor, look for "Version". EFI64 ROM was version 62.92.20.00.00 and ROM file is 127KB, EFI32 was version 62.92.20.00.16 and file size was 115KB.

Easier way (well, it depends... ;)) could be to find any EFI64 MP (friend, work) and test the card in it.

If card has EFI32 ROM - it's probably dead. If it's EFI64 - you can reflash it to 32.

3. Satch thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, thanks for the reply! I've tried to save the ROM with Nvflash and with Nibitor, but both program's gave an error. Luckily GPU-Z was able to give me a Firmware version and it was 62.92.20.00.16....

Strangely when i was trying to read the firmware version in windows (bootcamp) the fan suddenly became silent. And the card also worked in Windows, it was recognised properly and dvi port 1 worked.

So the situation is now, in OSX or while booting any OS there is no image on the 8800GT. But when windows 7 is loaded (and the driver) the fan goes silent (The fan then stays silent untill I remove and reinstall the card) and the card works.. But only on dvi port 1...

Strange... Maybe it's a pc 8800GT with a firmware flash?

4. MacVidCards Suspended

you have the wrong ROm on it.

Good news is it has 128K chip, just flash it with right ROM and quit fiddling

5. Satch thread starter macrumors newbie

How did you figure this out? And which ROM do I need exactly? Thanks! :eek:

6. MacVidCards Suspended

Process of elimination.

There are 2 versions of this card for Apple Mac Pro.

A 32 bit EFI version for 2006/7 machines and a 64 bit EFI version for 2008 & later ones.

If you have SL 10.6.8 installed, there is an easy way to check this out for sure. Install the Nvidia Quadro 4000 drivers and Netkas' ATY_Init.

If the 8800GT is working properly, it will start functioning once boot reaches desktop.

7. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

^^^ MVC:
    OP has Lion...

...and 62.92.20.00.16 is EFI32 firmware.

So, maybe it's flashed GTS and he needs your ROM fix? Just guessing...

OP, is your card dual or single slot?

8. goMac macrumors 603

Could be just a dead card. The 8800 cards have known defects.

9. Satch thread starter macrumors newbie

I could make my own picture but it looks just like the one on this internet pic.
    Single slot, 2 x DVI, 1 x pci-e powerconnector on the rear.
    [​IMG]
    I'm pretty new in the gpu flashing business, but the card is pretty worthless for me right now, so if it's word trying, why not. :)

In OSX the gpu has the following specs readout in About this mac.. (Sorry for the dutch)
    Code:
      Type:	GPU
      Bus:	PCIe
      Sleuf:	Slot-2
      Breedte PCIe-baan:	x8
      Fabrikant:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
      Apparaatcode:	0x0602
      Revisiecode:	0x00a2
      Beeldschermen:
    Btw, I also have a 7300GT and a Ati 6870 that I can use. The 6870 is offcourse not 100% supported, so I bought the 8800GT to check if it would be sufficient for me in terms of power. :)

That's what i thought at first, but it seems to work in Windows 7. Maybe I should try gaming on it to see what happens... :)

10. goMac macrumors 603

Ahhhh, not a dead card then. Huh. Well, if it's supposed to be running EFI 32...

11. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

So, it's regular reference 8800GT.
    ROMs are available here: http://themacelite.wikidot.com/wikidownloads2
    You can try flashing then :)

12. Satch thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried flashing the card but ran into problems with nvflash. I think it has something to do with me running x64 Windows 7. I'll install windows 32 Bits via Bootcamp and will try again. :)

13. Satch thread starter macrumors newbie

At last, I've got it working! Flashing on my mac pro wasn't gonna work, so I put the 8800GT in my brothers pc. Booted from DOS while using the onboard vga card. Backuped the original firmware on the DOS win 98 usb stick. Then flashed the 8800GT original Apple firmware on it (nvflash told me it had the same version etc). Then the magic moment came, i've put it in my Mac Pro and pushed the power button. A first it gave a loud fan noise, so I thought it didn't worked... But then I attached the dvi cable, the card became silent and all was well in OSX.. :D

Thanks for your help guys! Especially you 666sheep.. :)

14. MacVidCards Suspended

Now, who was it that figured out what your problem was in the first place?

You're welcome.

15. Satch thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry, but your posts were a bit cryptic to me. The card already had the 32 bit ROM on it. Atleast GPU-Z and NVflash reported the version ending at .16, or doesn't that say something about the ROM flashed on it? So I couldn't follow your 'process of elimination'. Besides he also pointed me at the website with the ROM I needed. Anyways, i'm a happy camper now with my working video card so thank you too for the help :)