Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alith

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
Hello all! Long time PC user here that recently switched! I spent last night in OS X and loved every minute of it. Tonight I installed Vista-64 on the second internal drive (500GB Barracuda) which, thanks to BootCamp, went swimmingly.

I have all the latest Vista updates installed but the graphics drivers are 167.49 Forceware, which were installed by bootcamp I'm assuming. The latest ones are 169.25 and I was wondering if I had to wait for bootcamp drivers or if I could just go ahead and install the drivers direct from nvidia, like I would on my PC.

It may sound like a silly question as I'm sure you can just use the generic Forceware ones but I didn't want to find myself staring at a bluescreen, come here and then find everyone going, "Well of course you can't just install Forceware. That card has EPPRFIEF64 blah blah on it!"

So... it is safe to keep installing nvidia drivers as they come out or do I need to hold on bootcamp updates? Sorry for long winded thread but I didn't want to bork my new Vista install, which has so far been surprisingly smooth.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
Sorry thread hi-jack, but how do you install drivers in windows? Never had to do it before. Is there a "best" way to do it?

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2007
None of my games worked until I installed the proper nvidia drivers.

I set up Vista last night with Gears and Crysis. Gears kept crashing and crysis wasn't working.. I updated the graphics drivers and well... it plays gears full settings>

Just go on nvidia's website and download the proper driver. Then it just installs like a program.

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Download the driver, then double click the downloaded file and it will walk you through it all (a few times hitting 'next' then click finish and it reboots)

After the reboot, you may have a little Nvidia logo beside your system clock.

Sorry thread hi-jack, but how do you install drivers in windows? Never had to do it before. Is there a "best" way to do it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.