8800GT vs HD2600XT

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by doleboy, Jan 20, 2008.

1. doleboy macrumors newbie

another 8800 thread, but since i'm not intimately familiar with video cards i thought i'd ask.
    the decision is whether to wait the "estimated 2-4 weeks" and get with the 8800 or wait the estimated 1-2 days and go with the HD2600XT..

i plan on running a 30" display with a secondary 17"
    as for software, primarily i will use:
    -aperture
    -final cut pro
    -after effects
    -photoshop
    -gaming has never been option for me (being on an old G4), but i have always been a fan of console games. so in short, yes, there may be some light gaming in the future (will be FPS's).

again i don't know how much an upgraded video card will benefit my specific situation, so i'd like to hear from some of the people who are more knowledgeable on the topic. i don't need the decision made for me, but i just specifically would like to know how much benefit i would see, so that i can weigh the decision myself.

2. viltsu macrumors member

That´s good reason to wait for 8800GT. You should take that with your Mac Pro.

3. doleboy thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the feedback. i have yet to start using aperture (being limited by the G4), but where my workflow is entirely based on RAW files using bridge (camera raw) and PS for heavier post processing, i think aperture will replace bridge quite nicely.

another question is: do both cards support portrait-oriented monitors? i planned on running my secondary 17" flipped to portrait orientation.

4. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

All I do is edit photos on my new Mac Pro, and I got the 8800GT.

Just out personal curiosity, what will Aperture do for you that you aren't happy with in Bridge/PS?

5. doleboy thread starter macrumors newbie

as of now, i hate opening photos in camera raw to make adjustments. additionally, i am partial to organization as a library based on tags and shoot dates. right now i have everything organized in folders by date of card dump... this isn't great when i need to retrieve an image and i don't remember even remotely when it was shot.
    the smoother interface is also a plus :D
    btw i am using bridge CS2 right now