8800GTX out with the old in with the new.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Cyberjenks, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Cyberjenks macrumors newbie

Ok here is the deal. I am the proud owner of a 8800GTX (EVGA). I maybe wrong but after reading other threads here I am under the impression that there is now way my old video card will work in my new Early 2008 2.8 Octo mac pro…(if this is not true please let me know.)

So moving on…after I sell my GTX what would be a good replacement card I could use with Mac and Win. Please before you ask why didn’t I buy a 8800GT when I got my new Mac the answer is: My new Mac was a great present from my wife and she didn’t know better…and no I’m not going to return it (restocking charge alone….)

Just getting a 8800GT is the plan now, but before I sell the old I just wanted some other opinions.

I will be using my Mac for photography (as the main) and all things Mac. But once in awhile I might have the need to play a game or two.

Thanks for the help.:apple:

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

If you install Boot Camp you can run the 8800 GTX with that, but it still won't work with Leopard. The 8800 GT that you're ordering would work with both Windows and OS X.

3. John Purple macrumors regular

See the other thread on 8800, they think that 10.5.2 will fix it.

4. newtech macrumors 6502

Not really, while .kext drivers for cards such as 8800GTX, HD 3850, 3870 will be in 10.5.2 there will not be any of those cards available with the correct EFI ROM to make them work in OS X.

5. Cyberjenks thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm

Then my qustion....why add them if only the OS will support it....better suport for bootcamp? I'm not flamming I just want to know.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Why were there references to Rentals in iTunes 7.5? Not to get anyone's hopes up, because mine certainly aren't, but Apple sometimes leaves incomplete parts of future features in their updates of software. Could we see a broader range of graphics card support come 10.5.3-12? Only Steve will tell...

7. Cyberjenks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks that makes sence to me.:)