880GB Laptop Drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Relznuk, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

I was browsing best buy and found this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9539564&type=product&id=1218121171449

The drive inside would seem to be a 2.5". I am thinking of buying this. But first, I wonder how this will measure up...

(1) performance-wise. How will the drive nside of this perform in comparison to the stock 320GB 5400RPM in my 15" MBP?

(2) physically. Will this drive fit inside my mid-09 15" unibody? I know that people say the 640s and 720s do fit.

(3) energy-wise. Will this use significantly more power than the 320 I have in there?

(4) heat, sound, and vibration wise. Will this produce signifcantly more of any of these three things?

Any advice? Should I do this? What outcome should I expect?

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Forgive me, but you do realize that this is an external hard drive, yes?

I imagine that your plan is to disassemble this, remove the HD, and put it in your MBP?

Without knowing what drive in housed in that casing, it's difficult to say if the disassembled drive would even fit in your MBP, or if would give any improvement.

3. ncdasa macrumors member

it seems like most of these questions would have to answered by specifications provided by the selling company. You can try their website and see what they say about the drive.

As far as it fitting, if it is 880GB it is likely to be 12mm deep and this is the only general concern. But for the unibody models IT IS NOT A PROBLEM.

I havent heard of a bigger size 2.5 drive than that (but then again, i dont really know $#!† about computers). But considering that WD makes a tb drive in the 2.5 (12mm deep) size i dont think there should be any problem.

4. Relznuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Thanks for responding. Yes, I am well aware that this is an external drive, which I plan on removing from the enclosure. The info I need focuses arond how it might perform inside a MBP.

5. Relznuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Thanks. I may try contacting the manufacturer to see what they can provide. If it doesn't work, Best Buy says they'll allow me to return it. It'd be freaking awesome to have such a massive hard drive...

6. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

It only spins at 5000rpm. That's probably why they are marketing it as an external drive (secondary).

7. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

bout time they started increasing the capacity of laptop HD's, am look for a 1Tb for my ps3 so, hopefully by next year sometime they'll be available,

good luck with ya plan OP ;)

8. ncdasa macrumors member

why dont you just go the extra mile and get the 1tb internal drive for laptops made by WD?

why settle for 880gb? I mean unless there is a big price difference. I think the WD drive runs from like 260 to 290 $ now.

It fits in all unibody macbooks and is 5400rpms. It may not be the fastest drive but if you need space then it will do the trick.

You can buy it already without an enclosure and just pop it in.

its for Western Digitals "Scorpio Blue" line. Google it if you want more info

9. Relznuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Relznuk

There is a huge price difference.

10. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

You get what you pay for. The suggestion for the 1TB is spot on if you want to upgrade and be done with it for a very long time.

If you're really cost conscious about this go with a 500gb 5400rpm unit. Get 2 for about the same price as what you're looking at and use the second for your Time Machine backup.

There is no way I'd get that clunky seagate. A hamster could spin its wheel faster than that drive spins.

11. Relznuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Thanks for your help everyone. I am going to get a 750GB Western Digital drive. I called seagate and was informed that the drive in question is a 15mm tri-platter enterprise-level drive, and will never be available for sale aside from in these portable products.