Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

151609-navigon_gift_500.jpg

Comparison of old (left) and new (right) drop-down app options
Users logging into or attempting to purchase from the iTunes Store today were met with a dialog box requiring that they accept a modified version of the iTunes Store and App Store terms and conditions. In addition to some clarifications regarding intellectual property rights and liability, the updated terms also address a "Gifts" section (new in App Store terms and modified in iTunes Store terms) that now includes discussion of a newly-added ability to gift App Store applications to other users.
The "Gifts" section of the iTunes Store Terms of Sale has been changed to clarify that Gifts may not be used for in-app purchases, upgrades, or the iPod Touch OS, to explain that some gifts require compatible hardware and parental control settings so they can be redeemed, and to notify you that, while gifts are non-refundable, this is without prejudice to your statutory rights to a refund in the event that a gift is faulty or has been misdescribed.

A new "Gifts" section has been added to the App Store T&C explaining the conditions under which Apps can be gifted, including an explanation that Gifts may not be used for in-app purchases, upgrades or the iPod Touch OS, and to explain that some gifts require compatible hardware and parental control settings so that they can be redeemed, and to notify you that, while gifts are non-refundable, this is without prejudice to your statutory rights to a refund in the event that a gift is faulty or has been misdescribed.
Selecting the "Gift This App" option next to an application takes users to a special screen where they can fill in their name, the recipient's name and email address, and a message to the recipient. Users may specify multiple recipients and will be billed according to the number of email addresses listed.

Article Link: Apple Adds Ability to Gift App Store Applications

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Nice if I can use my account balance to pay for the gifting. Not too interested if you can only charge it.

Yoda3984

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2008
Nice!

Now I can "gift" myself some apps from my wife's account with that gift card she still hasn't used up... :cool:

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
This is cool! This will surely result in more app purchases and will be a boon for the iPad.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Sweet. Who won the 10 Billion $10,000? Start gifting some people with that.

FFArchitect

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2010
Good move...

Good move on Apple's part. I know when we build "gift" options into e-commerce sites (even non-profits for donations), revenues increase an average of nearly 30-40%.

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
Translation

I am especially appreciative of the article's quote being translated into both English and Internet. So many more people will be able to comprehend this information now!

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
What would be really cool is if you could gift an app you already bought to someone else. But, I realize that could create a whole black market of iPhone apps.

agentkow

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
While I love this feature, I excitedly read through the new terms looking for the ability to purchase Apps with gift cards in Canada (which has not been available in Canada for some very strange reason), but alas, we still can only purchase music and videos with our gift balance.

palaemon

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2009
Can you gift free apps? I mean ones that are on sale for free?

This, along with devs' ability to schedule app price drops, is a great way to get & give apps.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Nice if I can use my account balance to pay for the gifting. Not too interested if you can only charge it.

Hate to quote myself, but just gifted an app to my Nephew and it took it out of my PayPal rather than my account balance. Didn't see any option to just use my account balance.

[update] and now see the text saying iTunes credit can not be used for gifts... sigh

azraq27

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2006
Craigslist that app

What would be really cool is if you could gift an app you already bought to someone else. But, I realize that could create a whole black market of iPhone apps.

"black market" has a negative connotation...

I wish Apple would extend this to already purchased apps to allow for "alternative commerce" (i.e., I want to sell old apps I don't use)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Already?

(I was going to post “finally!” but that ground was already covered pretty well.)

I’m always mailing app links to people, free or otherwise. This will make it much easier.

magpie maniac

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2007
Again, hurray for negative votes!

The only thing that keeps me coming back to MacRumors is the anticipation of one day seeing 128 positives and 73 negatives on a story titled "Steve Jobs cures cancer, brokers permanent peace between the Israelis and the Palestinians, and discovers a pollution-free alternative energy source that costs pennies per year."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.