Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

120048-iphone_os4_event.jpg

Apple today is holding its iPhone OS 4.0 media preview event where it is expected to show off the next-generation operating system for its multi-touch portable devices and begin offering developers tools to build applications for the new operating system.

The event is scheduled to kick off at Apple's Cupertino headquarters at 10:00 AM Pacific Time / 1:00 PM Eastern Time, or just about one hour from now. Apple will not be providing live video or audio coverage of the event, and thus observers will have to rely primarily on text and photo updates coming out of the event. Apple will likely post a video recording of the event later today for full analysis.

Live Web/Twitter Coverage
- Engadget
- Gizmodo
- Ars Technica
- gdgt
- MacRumors Twitter updates

- Spoiler-Free notification page for Apple's QuickTime video of the presentation

Recent News and Rumors
- iPhone OS 4.0 Claimed to Include Multitasking, Revamped Interface
- iPhone OS 4.0 to Bring Expose-like Multitasking?
- iPhone OS to Gain Universal Inbox for Mail?
- Apple iPad, iPhone OS 4 Appears Set to Gain Direct Printing Support
- Apple's 'iAd' Mobile Advertising Platform Set for Introduction Tomorrow as Google Sweats AdMob Purchase Approval?

Article Link: Apple's iPhone OS 4.0 Media Event: 'Sneak Peek Into the Future'

derryquinn

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Seeing as how these Apple Even slogans usually have a hidden meaning that only becomes apparent after the event ("There's something in the air" for MacBook Air), I wonder if this has anything hidden?

I saw yesterday speculation that the fact that the shadow of number 4 is in the foreground, when usually shadows are in the background was some sort of connection to backgrounding applications/multitasking.

Something I'm wondering about is if "A Sneak Peak..." might be relating to some sort of new notifications system where you can Peek to the side of the screen to see notification and not have them popping up in front of what you're doing and disturbing you like they currently do. That's all speculation though :p

CubusX

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Hope to hear something about the iPhone coming to Verizon.

That's what I am hoping, though it's a pipe dream for right now. It will most likely be just about the new OS.

With Android making gains in the smartphone market, it should come to pass soon.

TeeJayEm

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2008
sandwiches (check), dr pepper (check), shoes off (check), extension off (check). Let's do this!

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'm pretty stoked about this. It better be good since it seems like they are running a bit behind this year. I just hope they fix the tab reloading problem in Safari on iPad. Virtual (swap) memory, anyone?

Also hope that my secret button turns out to be true. Interesting that keyboard docks aren't shipping until late April. Isn't it true that only reviewers received early units along with their iPad a week before debut? Dashboard on the iPad makes a lot of sense, especially with it only supporting 256mb of ram. The smaller footprint of tiny widget apps makes it all the more likely. Apple could set limitations on their memory size in approval. We will see soon.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Seeing as how these Apple Even slogans usually have a hidden meaning that only becomes apparent after the event ("There's something in the air" for MacBook Air), I wonder if this has anything hidden?

I saw yesterday speculation that the fact that the shadow of number 4 is in the foreground, when usually shadows are in the background was some sort of connection to backgrounding applications/multitasking.

Something I'm wondering about is if "A Sneak Peak..." might be relating to some sort of new notifications system where you can Peek to the side of the screen to see notification and not have them popping up in front of what you're doing and disturbing you like they currently do. That's all speculation though :p

Interesting thought!

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
This better be great, They have some software ground to make up. Hopefully they implement what their competitiors have and go a step above, otherwise there is no stopping the other platforms from running away(Hint Android)

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wow it's great being in the UK. Another **** day at work behind me and now I get to relax in front of my iMac to see what all the fuss is about! :D:cool:

My schedule:
17:45 - Put kettle on.
17:49 - Make cup of Tea
17:50 - Get some Scones, jam and fresh cream.
17:55 - Sit at iMac, eating Scones and sipping on tea with a stiff upper lip.
18:00 - The excitement begins....... :D

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
I hope we get a 'Huge' change, both background uses and main UI. Something to really holler about!
Lets get back to first place, and keep us there for a good year or so!

Cander

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
Anyone want to start a pool on how much time is wasted bringing 3rd parties up to the stage to show off their apps? I say 45 minutes

C8XY

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2008

That sounds really good! Apple are about to destroy the competition!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.