8G Enough?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by B1rdman, Aug 13, 2008.

1. B1rdman macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new to this part of macrumors so I'm sorry if this is frequently asked or something, but what I was wondering was if the 8G ipod touch stores enough? I'm about to buy a mac for school and I get a free 8G with it so I was wondering if it is worth it to add 100-200 for the higher capacity models or just stick with the 8Gig?

Now, I know everyone's definition of "enough" is different, but what I'm really wondering is how much photo/music storage is realistically left over after you take into account the space such things as the basic apps/additional apps and other ipod touch things take up. Sorry if its a noob question, just never had a touch/iphone so I have no clue how much space is realistically left over. Thanks in advance for your responses. :D

2. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

I just got a iPod Touch 8GB, and I think it's great. You can't store everything on it, but that's what a normal 80/160GB iPod is for. I say go for the 8GB and save your money. :)

3. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

If you don't have many songs or movies you wanna watch on the go and whatnot, i'd suggest an 8GB. But, if you're like me and pretty much the rest of us here who wanna watch endless dramas and playing with the apps and duh duh duh.... a 16GB is perfect. Moreover, you sorta get it free after all so paying 100$ extra wouldn't be a bad deal, right ?!

- "Oh i realize i don't use that much of storage. That $100 was such a waste. Oh well!!!"

Or

- "Holy ****!!! I wanna be able to watch 5 episodes of HEROES, humming to my music and playing with the apps. It's only a $100 more. Urrrrr!!!"

You decide.

4. iRyann macrumors regular

iRyann

Depends how much music you have, I got like 4GB so that would be perfect for me. However, I am getting a 16GB iTouch, purely because i like the idea of never having to delete anything.
    I am a freak, I know xD.

5. iOrlando macrumors 68000

For me...its the only ipod i have...and i am looking to store movies for trips on it. With one movie safely occupying .8-.9 GB....if i want 4...that would put me close to 3.5-4. Add music, photos..etc...yeah 8GB is cutting it short.

Just spend the 100 for 16GB. You wont ever have to worry about storage.

6. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

If you are getting the 8GB free and only have to put up another £50 to get double the capacity, I'd stump up the cash.

You will probably need it eventually.

7. 7031 macrumors 6502

Remember, it's always better to have more than you need, than not enough.

8. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

"I wish I had more Smallpox than I needed. I don't have nearly enough!"

9. Platonist macrumors member

Platonist

I use my 8 GB Touch as a PDA more than a standard iPod, and the capacity is plenty. I have a few playlists on it that I use when I work, but I have a regular iPod for my music. If this is going to be your only iPod then pony up for the extra capacity. If the Touch is going to be more of a companion iPod/PDA then the 8 GB should be fine.

10. applecupcakes macrumors member

applecupcakes

I use mine in exactly the same way, so I second this. Although, I do keep a couple of movies on it as well, but even so, the 8GB is more than enough for my purposes.

11. Xavier macrumors 68020

There are a few methods I like to use on my 16gb iPod touch because I have too much music to fill it.

I like to use smart playlists that are restricted by genre, such as Alternative, Rock, Hip Hop, and have them randomly select songs. Its simple to change the songs, all you do is delete the ones you don't want in the playlist, and because its smart, it gets new ones right away. Very easy. That way, I can listen to the playlist, or shuffle songs and not end up listening to crap music.

Also I do the manually sync thing. A pain, but I get those extra songs that didn't make it into the playlists.

Now I end up finding new songs in my library that I like, and I didn't even know I had them!

12. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I have a 16gb touch.

Right now I have
    2 movies (700mb each)1.4gb
    20 TV episodes (125mb each 2.5gb
    300 pics 250mb
    1400 songs 7.2gb
    40 apps (a lot, I know, I just can't stop downloading) 530mb

So total is 11.88gb
    My iTunes itself is over 75gb+iPhoto is 10gb, so I would never be able to fit my stuff on one touch, but who really needs all that anyway? If you think you do, go ahead and get a classic, but I scaled down what I put on my iPod touch from a 30gb Video. I think that features are much more valuable than storage, and that is where the touch excels. When I do need a new iPod (probably in the next few months-- December-February) I will be getting an iPod Touch, and hopefully a 32 or 64gb, just so I can hold more video.

Now, I obviously don't need 40 apps, or 20 TV shows, or 1400 songs, but the capacity is nice. If you have less than this, you can probably get down to an 8gb. I had to scale down my collection when I got my iPod touch back in September. I had around 700 songs and 1500 pictures. Now, I have a total of 2079 songs and around 20 movies, but I do not put everything on my iPod. I use checking to choose which songs I like best, I limit my photos to 5 most recent events, I carry no more than 4 movies and 20 TV episodes, with TV episodes managed by smart playlists.

13. B1rdman thread starter macrumors newbie

wow, thanks for all the replies!

It sounds like I should either stick with the 8G or move up to 16G if I see a need. I was originally intending to go for the 32G as I already own a 30G video that I've had for years and am assuming will die out soon, so I was thinking the touch would be a replacement for that, but now that I've read your posts, it seems like its better to make the touch more of a secondary device that doesn't hold the entire library (and I have a huge itunes library). SO yeah, thanks to you guys I'll either go for the free 8G or drop 100 on the 16G.

And yeah, so 40 apps only take up like 1/2 a Gig? That's pretty good! I always had assumed they took up more.

And while I'm posting about the ipod touch, any of you recommend a good case? I was thinking about the Agent 18 case since that's what I have on my video right now and is (IMO) the reason my video ipod is still "alive" today.

14. applecupcakes macrumors member

applecupcakes

Again, it depends on your needs. I have a full-body InvisibleSHIELD on mine, because I'm not really concerned about dropping it, but more concerned about it getting scratched in my bag/pocket/whatever. My boyfriend has both an InvisibleSHIELD on his AND a Speck ArmorSkin... personally I don't like silicone cases because of their tendency to collect fuzzies and stick to the inside of pockets but I suppose they provide some impact protection.

15. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I can't complain about my 8g iPod touch. Holds everything I want, 600 songs, 10 music videos, 1 movie, 40 photos, 5 apps and I still have a little less than half of my storage space left.
    Sure I wish I had more, but I would never fill it up any how so ....

16. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I am using an invisible shield as well as this case. The invisible shield will prevent you from using some very tight fitting cases, so I would get that first, then try on some cases at the Apple store.

17. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

My 8GB Touch has five movies on it, lots of podcasts, and a ton of music. No complaints here :cool:

18. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

It Is All About Your Strategy

When the iPods first came out I was alway upgrading for more storage. Then I learned that as long as I wasn't going to be to far away from my computer I could generally make do with smaller storage on the iPod through more frequent synching to keep the content fresh.

But that was before iTunesPlus, Amazon.com music downloads, movies, iPod applications, iPod e-mail, and podcasts. I've just gone from a 16 to a 32GB and that has let me leave behind my laptop on several trips. Considering the TSA laptop hassle, and luggage restrictions this worked out for me better than I thought. If you share your IPT with a family member on trips the extra storage also helps when movie and music tastes diverge ;)

So, it all depends on your needs and usage. My guess iPod storage is like hard drive storage, you end up filling-up whatever you have on hand.

19. adbe macrumors 6502a

I regret getting the 16GB, and wish I'd stumped up the difference for the 32GB. The 16GB seemed like it'd have enough space, albeit a little tight. With retrospect, it's a given that what ever you estimate you'll need will be short by at least 50%. So it is, that 24GB would have done me just fine, but 16GB means I'm forever shuffling stuff.

In short, if you think 4-5GB is plenty, get the 8GB. If you think 6-7GB should just be enough, get the 16GB, and regard the unused space as future proofing.

20. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

depends on your music, don't pay for extra space you won't use. it's like my friend who has about 100 songs. he was with his parents buying his ipod, and he's a rich kid, so he made his parents buy him the 32GB ipod touch. he doesnt even use more than 1Gb of it, saying he has to "save" or something.

in the end, if you have less than 4Gb of music stick with the 8GB, if you have more, go with the 16GB. Apps won't take much, since about 10 random apps is equal to 1-3MB of space. I have over 30 apps, a few of them games, and its about 100MB. Stay with the 8GB is my recommendation. You won't use up all of the 16GB, thus wasting ur money.