Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GovtLawyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
I want to buy a refurbished 21" 2.7 2013 with 16G and Fusion Drive. My experience is that refurbished are as good as new and several hundred dollars less expensive. However, they go up on the Apple site quickly and usually disappear as quickly.

If I act now I can get a 2.9 (better graphics, but not my big concern) with 8G and a fusion drive for a great price. Using mostly internet, office stuff, and lightroom/elements for my photography I wonder if I would see much of a difference between the 8G and 16G.

I often shoot in RAW, but do not process multiple images at the same time. On the other hand, my camera takes 20MB pictures. I know the fusion drive will be zippier than my current 2008 24", but since I can only fit a 21" on my desk, upgrading RAM at a later date is not possible.

Does it pay to wait for a 21" with the 16GB and fusion, or should I jump at the one on sale now? (by the time I get enough suggestions to make a good decision it may be gone, but I have to ask.)

Thanks,

Steven

BESLC

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
I would personally get the most you can afford with your system. The Apple refurb store updates frequently from what I have seen, so if the setup you want is not available just give it a few days,checking often.I have found it I don't get what I truly wanted there are often regrets and a lot of "what ifs".

I just received my 27" iMac... It was a BTO system with 16gb of ram,which I upgraded to 32 as soon as I unboxed it. It seems Mavericks hits the memory much harder than what my old iMac did running Snow Leopard. So you may want that extra ram. Just a suggestion, good luck!

GovtLawyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
Thanks for replies

Well, it seems that the best thing to do is to hold out for the 16GB & Fusion option. Glad I didn't get antsy and jump at the 8G. It's gone today anyway. Appreciate the help I always get on this forum.

Steven

bsdbee

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2014
San Francisco, California
I want to buy a refurbished 21" 2.7 2013 with 16G and Fusion Drive. My experience is that refurbished are as good as new and several hundred dollars less expensive. However, they go up on the Apple site quickly and usually disappear as quickly.

If I act now I can get a 2.9 (better graphics, but not my big concern) with 8G and a fusion drive for a great price. Using mostly internet, office stuff, and lightroom/elements for my photography I wonder if I would see much of a difference between the 8G and 16G.

I often shoot in RAW, but do not process multiple images at the same time. On the other hand, my camera takes 20MB pictures. I know the fusion drive will be zippier than my current 2008 24", but since I can only fit a 21" on my desk, upgrading RAM at a later date is not possible.

Does it pay to wait for a 21" with the 16GB and fusion, or should I jump at the one on sale now? (by the time I get enough suggestions to make a good decision it may be gone, but I have to ask.)

Thanks,

Steven

I would recommend sticking to 8GB. 16GB for your needs could be an overkill. You can always add more if your needs increase. I have been doing similar stuff as you and have never felt the need to add more RAM. But yes, Fusion drive makes a world of difference.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I would recommend sticking to 8GB. 16GB for your needs could be an overkill. You can always add more if your needs increase. I have been doing similar stuff as you and have never felt the need to add more RAM. But yes, Fusion drive makes a world of difference.
On the 21.5" iMac it is difficult to add memory yourself and you can void the warranty if you make a mistake. With what the Mac will be used for,GovtLawyer is better off getting 16GB of RAM.

GovtLawyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
iMac on its way

Thanks to all for their advice. I went into the Apple store on 14th St in NYC and asked to speak with the single person in the whole store who knew the most about iMacs. The Apple lady went upstairs and came back with an assistant manager. This guy really knew his stuff. After telling him about my current 2008 4GB system and exactly what I would be using the new one for, he told me the upgraded processor and fusion drive would do the most towards speeding up my whole experience. He also told me I really wouldn't need the 16GB; although, it might speed up my experience in such a minute way I may not even notice.

With that info on hand I jumped at the first good refurb I saw. I ordered the 2.9 8Gb w/fusion drive, for $260 less than retail. I am very confident it will suit my needs. Thanks to the good well intentioned people on this forum.

Steven

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.