8g or 16g memory? Aftermarket up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SyncSpin, Jun 16, 2012.

1. SyncSpin macrumors member

Hey guys.

I picked up the new 15 MBP (non retina). Right off the bat I am upgrading to a crucial 512 SSD, and the memory. I am wondering if I should just up to 8g, or if 16g is worth it?

Right out of the box with standard stuff running, I am using 1.6g of memory. That is without Photoshop, or anything running. I am a web designer/developer so PS, AI, and some Video editing will be performed.

Because of that I am wondering if I should upgrade to 8 (2x4) or 16 (2x8)? Any real world opinions?

Also is it worth it at all to just replace 1 stick with a 8g and leave the current 2g in one slot? bringing me to 10 total? Or does that mismatch in memory cause issues?

Thanks for any insight.

2. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

With the price of RAM I would just get 16GB and be done with it. Whether or not you actually "need" it depends on your usage of PS/video editing.

3. PSDman macrumors newbie

4. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

5. Dindorio macrumors newbie

Dindorio

6. maerz001 macrumors 6502

Apple Support says only use 2 ram stick of the same capacity.
    Before u choose what size u need, check out on your current machine in the activity monitor while using desired programs. If not in media, sound or cad creation 16gb is worthless. Ore maybe 100 tabs open in safari :)