Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

titosh181

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Assuming that i Want to run the operating system Windows 7 and Mac simultaneously .

titosh181

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Yes I mean a virtual machine

Yes I mean a virtual machine, I'm not a gamer I just do not want the computer to be slow,

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yes I mean a virtual machine, I'm not a gamer I just do not want the computer to be slow,

Then I would really recommend getting an 8GB RAM upgrade. This is precisely why I upgraded to 8GB - there had been significant lag (page-out activity) while running Windows 7 in Parallels (with only 1gb dedicated to it) with 4GB stock RAM.

...one can get by with 4GB (2GB set for Windows VM).

That didn't work for me. I had only 1gb dedicated to Win7 in Parallels and yet, I only had ~200mb RAM left to run all applications in OS X.

Last edited by a moderator:

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
That didn't work for me. I had only 1gb dedicated to Win7 in Parallels and yet, I only had ~200mb RAM left to run all applications in OS X.

I only have 4gb ram on my new 2011 MBP i7 2.2ghz and i have no lag on Windows 7 Pro, then again I use Bootcamp and not a VM. Might be my advantage.

titosh181

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
And it does not eliminate the responsibility of Apple?

And it does not eliminate the responsibility of Apple?

blackbinary

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2011
you need to grab a 8GB kit, because the mac comes with 2x2GB.

You can get them for about $60 from newegg.
It doesn't void the warranty.

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
Check out macsales.com for RAM. High quality products and great customer service. I would never purchase RAM from Apple as it's always at least double the price you can get from another retailer.

Fishman Dan

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2011
Check out macsales.com for RAM. High quality products and great customer service. I would never purchase RAM from Apple as it's always at least double the price you can get from another retailer.

+1. Do it, you want be disappointed, and the upgrade is relatively cheap for the outcome.

8 gb if you want to entertain running W7 in anything other than Bootcamp. Since upgrading I can seamlessly run both OS'es simultaneously without slow-down of either. Previously my W7 would take forever to boot running as a VM (in Parallels) with only 2 Gb allocated to it.

Having 8 Gb means you can allocate a full 4 Gb to your W7 VM, and therefore run the x64 version.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
I'd go for 8. It isn't that expensive. I used to run Parallels with a 4GB RAM Blackbook. Although it was doable and the computer didn't really lag, there was definitely room for improvement. If you want each OS to be seamless and not show any visible fault, I'd get 8 gigs.

lindstedt56

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Macsales is good but 8gig ram is still 85.00. you can get a namebrand set on newegg for 60.00 or less now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.