8G RAM in a Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RedneckBob, Sep 20, 2010.

1. RedneckBob macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if I can put 8G in a MacBook Pro (5,1 - Unibody)?

-RB

2. LocoStrange macrumors member

3. bamf macrumors 6502

According to MacTracker it depends on the processor. If you have the 2.66 or 2.93 GHz processors, then yes - otherwise, no.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

actually, thats a good question. OP, which exact model do you have?

5. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

MacTracker is an awesome free app for learning about your Mac.

6. RedneckBob thread starter macrumors newbie

How can I best tell?

I do a About This Mac and it says MacBookPro 5,1, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4Ghz. Don't see model number listed.

Thanks!

-RB

7. RedneckBob thread starter macrumors newbie

Boom! Exactly what I needed, let me give this a shot...

8. RedneckBob thread starter macrumors newbie

The ironing is delicious.

9. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Ah, then no. I was just looking for your processor info. Your limit will be 6GB. There are a few cases of getting 8 to work on my model (same guts as yours), but it's hit or miss, so it is recommended not to try that.

10. RedneckBob thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahhh, okay. Thanks for the information, you've been very helpful (this is what makes the Mac community so great!).

I'd love to jam 8G in this sucker because I'm having to run two big VMs on top of OS X (a fat RedHat install plus a Win2003) and it chews up a lot of memory.

The extra 2G, which gets me to 6G total, will be a big help though.

-RB

PS - no special tricks that I can do to get 8G?

11. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Not that I know of. It's a chipset limitation I believe, and I think people have sometimes gotten certain brands to work, but it's not guaranteed. You may want to google it and look at some of the threads that people have done that.

12. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Although we all believed that it wasn't possible, a user was able to get 8GB of RAM in his Late-2008 2.4GHz MacBook Pro.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=573906

It's only two users so can't say for sure that it works but I'm pretty sure more people will start looking into it.

(If you didn't ask, you probably wouldn't have got this response...)

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm not sure what model the one in my sig is but it has 8 gigs and works perfectly.

14. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yeah, I think the 2.4 15" uni is the only one that won't work right with 8GB (as well as the original uni MacBooks)

15. RedneckBob thread starter macrumors newbie

Veeeery interesting! I'm going to drop him a note and ask how he got 8G working. I really, Really, REALLY could use the full 8G.

I'm pretty fired up knowing that I can, at a minimum, bump up to 6G. I was seriously considering selling my current MBP and upgrading to the newer i5 just so I could get more memory as I'm dying here with just 4G.

If I learn any new details, I'll be sure to post 'em...

16. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

The 2007 models will take only up to 6GB or RAM but later models (2008 and later) can take up to 8GB, I believe. The Santa Rosa models can only address 6GB of RAM (one 2GB chip and one 4GB chip)

17. RedneckBob thread starter macrumors newbie

Attached Files:

18. movieboy23 macrumors regular

Note: Just because the OS reads that there are 2x 4GB RAM chips in the machine doesn't mean the processor will be able to use all 8. If you don't get any kernel panics, then feel free to leave 'em in. But if you start getting kernel panics, I'd revert back to 6.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Now use more than 6GB and see what happens? That should be pretty easy to if you want a couple VMs.

20. RedneckBob thread starter macrumors newbie

Like this? Any other tests that I should be doing to stress the full 8G?

-RB

PS - right now have "7.99G used", "930M free", and "swap used 1.24G".

Attached Files:

21. tjb1 macrumors 68000

22. RedneckBob thread starter macrumors newbie

Fired up Activity Monitor and launched....

Virtual machine for Win7 with 2G allocated (Word/Excel/HTML checker/IE/Outlook), virtual machine for Ubuntu with 2G allocated (FireFox/Chrome/Evolution/Music Player/Shotwell/OpenOffice Writer), Photoshop with 30 pictures, Illustrator with a heavy 4 page design, Dreamweaver, Excel with a decent sized spreadsheet, Google Earth, Word with a big 50 page image laden document, iPhtoto, Quicktime with a 9G movie, VLC with a 640M movie, iTunes, StarOffice with same big 50 page image laden document, Chrome, FireFox, Safari, and a bunch of other programs.

...watched Activity Monitor as memory filled up, started swapping, and now 1.26G of swap has been consumed.

I need to do a little reading on free vs. wired vs. active vs. inactive vs used, but I can feel the system slow down a tad once I started swapping. Probably need a more official way to test, but this is as "real world" as it gets.

23. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

THat's a 5,1 MacBook Pro not a 4,1. 5,1 can address 8GB, while 4,1 can only address 6GB of RAM.

24. waterkamp macrumors newbie

redneckbob, can you please share your current experience with 8GB installed... do you run into any kernel panic ? or has it been smooth all the way ?
    and where did you buy your ram ?