8G to 16G upgrade horror story + solution to it

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shinenjk, Jul 28, 2008.

1. shinenjk macrumors regular

My story is very similar to this blog post, but with a different solution:

http://consumerist.com/tag/returns-...efective-iphone-3g-is-a-huge-pain-in-the-butt

So I bought an 8G iPhone 3G and returned it to exchange for a 16G iPhone 3G because I wanted more space. The problem began when the system recognized me as having used the subsidized price to purchase an 8G iPhone and therefore wanted me to pay the unsubsidized price for the 16G ($499). This occurs when the Apple Store employee enters your info as an "existing AT&T customer." Obviously I did not want to pay the unsubsidized price, so this is what happened next.

The Apple Store employee and I proceeded to create a whole new AT&T account with a new number for my 16G (start off as "new customer to AT&T" instead of "existing customer"). That worked out fine with me purchasing the new 16G iPhone 3G at the subsidized price (paid the difference between 16G & 8G + NO restocking fee - got lucky there :p). So at this point, I had 2 accounts opened with AT&T, one with 8G & the old number I want, and one with 16G & the new random number they assigned me.

After I got my new phone, I called up AT&T to get my old number back (still with the old 8G account) and to cancel the old account. It turns out that it's not feasible to do this because you can't just transfer a number from one account to another one leaving one account numberless (guess it makes sense). So after talking to a manager for well over an hour, what she did was to replace the iPhone information on my old 8G account with the new 16G info (she wanted the IMEI number written on the box), then I had to get a new SIM card which she entered into the old account info also, and then canceled the NEW account that I just made with 16G iPhone.

So that solved all my problems. If you plan on doing a similar thing, just ask them to repeat the steps above and you should be good. I don't want anyone going through this ordeal like I did. It was long, torturous and frustrating but at least everything worked out in the end. :rolleyes:

And after the experience, I strongly believe that Mac Geniuses have no idea how to handle any of this account issue. They're nice and all, but they don't know squadoosh (understandable, however). To be fair to them, AT&T customer service reps don't know any better. They'll just tell you "it's not possible" or something like that. So another advice is to call AT&T and to speak with a manager if you have a complicated issue like I did. Good luck!

2. allurbase macrumors member

Thanks for the write-up. I just wanted to report my experiences exchanging my 8GB for a 16GB.

I first called the apple store I purchased my phone from and they told me I would not be able I purchase the 16GB at the subsidized price. I then called AT&T customer service and a rep informed me there should be no problems doing this at the apple store, I would just pay the difference in subsidized price. The upgrade eligibility of my line would be renewed upon return of the phone and cancellation of the service contract. The new contract would start at purchase of the 16GB model.

This sounded a bit too easy but I made the trip to the store and made the exchange with no problems in about 10 minutes. Unfortunately I had to wait in a small 40min line with the rest of the new iPhone purchasers. I felt I shouldn't have had to wait, but no harm done and I'm now a happy owner of 16GB iPhone.

3. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

That makes no sense, you were getting a new phone just like the rest of the iPhone 3G folks. You waited in line like you should have...

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Glad to see you both got your 16GB 3G iPhones up and running...:p

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Not only that, you were REPLACING your phone for non-technical issues.... Not sure why you would feel this exempts you from the line.

6. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

This is a very "unsmart" move. Why would you ever agree to signing up for a new account in the first place? If I am AT&T, I would hold you responsible for both accounts...

P.S. your solution is called good fortune, not an actual solution. If you're ignorant enough to sign up for a new account under the circumstances above, you are more than likely to be held responsible for this "new account".

7. shinenjk thread starter macrumors regular

...more like it's AT&T and Apple's fault that it won't let me purchase the 16G at an unsubsidized price when I wanted to exchange my 8G? I'm not the only one who's had similar experience.

8. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Dude, first time shopping and signing contract? If there are bunch of idiots driving the wrong way, are you less of an idiot if you do it, too?

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If one more person uses "8G" or "16G" when referring to gigabytes on a device named "iPhone 3G," I may spew a little.