8gb 2nd gen touch, should I get 4.1?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by BradOntCa, Sep 14, 2010.

1. BradOntCa macrumors member

Hi everyone. This is my 1st post so I hope it works. I'm still a little behind with a 8gb 2nd gen touch but really like the little beast. I'm wondering if I should update the firmware to 4.1 or not? it takes about 30 to 35 seconds for it to turn on and I was wondering if it would get any faster by updating to 4.1? and if so would it be noticeable? Would there be any other improvements as well or should I not fix it if it ain't broken?

I'm also thinking of selling it and getting the 32gb 3rd gen model and was wondering if there is any way for someone to retrieve what I have on my 8gb if I sell it? I will delete everything but was wondering if there is any software or such that could be used to get back what I deleted?

T.I.A. Brad.

2. X2:M4c macrumors newbie

If you are on 3.x, I would stay there. The only real upgrade you'll get is folders, and that ain't much.

3. BradOntCa thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply

I guess I was hoping for a little faster machine with the 4.1 but it don't look like that's going to happen. Thanks again.

4. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Hey welcome to the forum. :)
    Well,if you upgrade to a 3G,you get all your stuff back because itunes creates a backup of your touch when you sync it. I synced my new 3G touch yesterday and my itunes still had a backup from my 1G Touch from march. :)
    So you will get it all back. I would recommend the upgrade,the 3G is a great machine and a good upgrade.

5. Drucifer macrumors regular

I think he wanted to know if he sold his 8GB to get a 3rd Gen 32GB model will anyone be able to recover the information he once had on his 8GB. If you do a restore on the 8GB before selling it then everything will be removed. I don't think anyone will really go out of their way to try and get access to all the information you once had on there that you deleted. I guess if you are really paranoid then there are programs out there that will eliminate the stored information for good.

6. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

Judge for yourself.

This comparison wasn't done with a touch, but the iPhone 3G's processor is roughly the same speed, and it's more reliable than purely subjective impressions.

Nobody seems to have performed a battery life comparison test, so one still has to rely on subjective evaluations in that regard. From what I've seen, those are still all over the map, with some claiming that it's no better than 4.0x.