8gb ddr3 but which brand

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dutkutug, Apr 18, 2011.

1. dutkutug macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I am going to buy 13" i7 and upgrade the ram to 8gb by myself. There are plenty of brands that I come accross and I definetely need some advise from the experts and the upgraders. Which one should I follow: Kingston, Crucial, Corsair or else (needless to say yet said : pair of 4GB DDR3 1333, 9-9-9-24, 1.5V, 204pin). I am not an expert, however, I have heard that single sided or double sided did matter (rumors :D )
    Thanks in advance..

2. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

Either crucial or owc brand memory works great and its cheap too.

3. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I vote for crucial. I got a free upgrade to 8GB with my laptop but they are who I would have chosen otherwise. I also used them for my first upgrade on another laptop. Very helpful and no issues. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the brands listed in this thread so far.

4. Kentochan macrumors 6502

Kentochan

5. noogin macrumors newbie

+1 for the g.skill, works flawlessly with lifetime warranty! not 1600mhz, but hey, barely a difference in 1333mhz

6. dutkutug thread starter macrumors newbie

Forgive me for my ignorance but is OWC a brand like kingston or crucial?
    From its offical site 8gb costs $107.99, crucial costs around $89 (newegg) and kingston about $83. Now, I am confused. The difference is around 25 and I have no clue ragarding the compatibility with the early 2011 model mbp. I know I ask too many questions, but, does anyone know which brand is installed at the apple store ?

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yes, OWC is a "brand." As big as Kingston and Crucial though? No way.

I'd go with Crucial. Their RAM always seem to get 5-star reviews everywhere.

8. JH4DC5 macrumors member

i've been using the 8gb crucial kit in my 2011 mbp without any issues. that would be my recommendation

9. dutkutug thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all replies, I will go for the crucial.

10. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Definitely Crucial, I have an 8GB RAM in my 2010 MBP 13" and it only costs around £70 - they're damn good quality too, unlike cheap Korean brand 'Hynix' supplied by Apple - with a price tag of a house.