8GB faster than 10GB?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by netdog, Jan 15, 2008.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I have 4 x 2GB pieces of qualified RAM coming from OWC and am wondering, would my computer be faster with just the OWC RAM or with the original 2 x 1GB Apple pieces installed as well?

2. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Wont matter either way, as it'll still be running in Dual Channel mode.

For instance, I have a Dell that has 1.5 GB of RAM, it came with 512MB in 2 256 MB modules, and I dropped in 2 512MB modules.

It says its running in Dual Channel mode. So, it wouldn't matter if I pulled out the 512MB that originally shipped, as long as I don't go over the 1GB mark in usage, it'd be the same, no matter which way I did it.

3. mrbc19 macrumors member

Can you explain that a little better? :confused:

You're saying 8gb would have the same performance as 10gb? I don't see why it would be that way.

4. MrPDaddyHimself macrumors regular

MrPDaddyHimself

I have 8GB coming as well from OWC and have to admit, I dont understand the mindset. I would assume that I could use 10 GB instead of just the 8GB and get the same speed while utilizing all RAM. I'll have a 3.2 with 4 1-TB drives.

5. snagitseven macrumors member

Read this

http://www.diglloyd.com/bike/free/MacPro/memory.html

They provide speed tests with various configurations (scroll down the page). Their bottom line is the MP memory will be fastest if equal 4 or 8 modules are installed vs 2 or 6. Not sure if relative speed tests reflect the real world however.