8gb good... 16gb sold out... argh!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by musthaveapples, Jul 29, 2008.

1. musthaveapples macrumors newbie

Do I really need a 16gb? The gadget boy inside me says yes but all the shops say no!

Apart from the obvious storage malarky will there be any positives in getting that oh so not very available 16gb iphone? Am now on first name terms with the carphone wearhouse staff as I walk in each morning and they all shake their heads saying maybe tomorrow...

Any helpful hints or advice would be good, not sure how much longer I can hold out!
    :apple:

2. yode macrumors 6502

do not settle for 8 if 16 is sold out, just wait

3. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

A phone is not somethin you buy everyday. its a rare purchase for most people and it is only 100 bucks more now. it is double the memory. dont settle for 8g just because 16g is sold out. i went through the same problem with my first iphone. the people in the store thought i was an idiot but i ended up spending the extra 100 for the 16g and dont regret it at all. Wait for the 16er

4. musthaveapples thread starter macrumors newbie

So the apple site now has decided to go back on its previous word and now shows 16gb's in most stores... and two of you have just told me to buy it so I'm sold! Will it make me look back at my pearl and chuckle? Hope so!

Also, am sure this has been covered in other posts, do you all find the size of the phone ok? the one thing I love about my pearl is that its dinky, will this new phone feel like a brick or will I be too busy twittering?

Cheers

5. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

The pearl is smaller but there is no comparison in features. my sis has the pearl and its nice but you will be pleased with the iphone. id bet my kidney on it.

6. FJR macrumors regular

Friend of mine has the pearl, and the feel of the iPhone is just so much better. the iPhone is much more ergonomic. It's wider sure, but it just fits your hand. The Pearl might be slightly better if you have really really small hands.

But yeah, I can see where the iPhone and blackberry's big business models can co-exist, but I really don't see consumer targeted models like the pearl surviving the iPhone. Unless you are just a power e-mailer who sends lots of really long e-mails all day from your phone, there just really is no way in which the pearl is better for non-business users.

7. musthaveapples thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats it... I'm buying the iphone now just to prove I have man hands!!!

8. FJR macrumors regular

you're concerned about that and you bought something called The Pearl to begin with? :D

When the pearl came out I thought to myself "really RIM?, you realize you're basically marketing this to female users only?" Seemed like a retarded move at the time to me, demographically, females aren't going to snap up smart phones.

9. musthaveapples thread starter macrumors newbie

I know I know, I now see the error of my ways... it was a very dark time for me :D

10. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

just wait or you will be in here complaining that you should of waited for the 16 because now your out of space!

11. FJR macrumors regular

I think he said that he can get a 16GB one now.

12. ceiph macrumors regular

on my 8 gb i keep my 500 fav songs, and say 5 hours of video, than when i charge it overnight if i choose to change video i do. so 8 gb is do able but i bought it because im a poor student and 200 was bad enough. not i couldnt find a 16

13. Dizle macrumors 6502

I am glad I saved the $100 and went with the 8gig. Its not close to full and I have all the music I want on it (out of my 30gig library). Plus if I break it I will feel better about it being only 2 bills instead of 3. Point: I dont need the extra memory let alone the full 8gig(7.10).

14. EdLee macrumors member

I currently own an 8GB and had the original 1G iPhone with 8GB. At first, I was having problems with space being a factor, but I learned to a) move my music to AAC rather than high bitrate MP3 to save space, but keep the same quality, b) don't put my whole library on there and manage what I wanted to listen to, and c) no need for a whole lot of video unless there's a long trip, and one or two movies should suffice.

If you can manage your library appropriately and limit what's on there, 8GB should be plenty. I have about 870 songs at 3.3GB and 3.37GB space free currently. Once in a while I'll throw a movie or TV show on there and still have space.

Your requirements may vary. :)

15. shinenjk macrumors regular

Depends on your needs. I have 7G worth of music and I knew I was going to be adding pictures + tons of apps so going for 16G was a no brainer.

16. FJR macrumors regular

Interesting, I use AAC exclusively and don't get anywhere near 870 songs out of 3.3GB. I get more like 650 out of 3.3GB.

17. thevol macrumors member

I cant speak for your intended use but I have an 8GB and I still have almost 7GB left after installing several apps. I dont put music or video on the phone...just dont see the point I guess, not when you can be on 3G or wifi at almost anytime. There are a couple of great streaming apps that I use...my favorite is Last.FM. I am just not a big fan of downloaded music on the phone as it tends to get old quick no matter how much you have on there, and I have a 60GB library in itunes. The phone is much more that an ipod and find myself rarely using the ipod functionality. I cant imagine ever filling up the 7GB without putting music and videos on it...even a turn by turn gps app wouldnt be over 1-2gb. If you like to put alot of downloaded music and videos on your phone then I would go with a 16GB (which really isnt enough anyway), but if you prefer streamed content get the 8GB.

18. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I always say yes because you never know what you may put on it in the near future

Maybe extra music?
    Maybe your favorite movie or TV shows?
    Maybe other things?

Why take the risk? I always go higher even if it costs me more but I usually use the space too

19. pundapun macrumors newbie

I have the same philosophy.

I think the most agreed upon argument for the 16 is resell value.

20. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I really wanted a black 32 GB, but I needed an upgrade and 16 GB would be fine. They kept running out of them too at the stores, but I really did not want to settle. Someone on line with me said "why not get the white 16 GB?" I'll have the phone at least for 2 years, so I want to get what I want.

Very happy I didn't settle :D

21. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

My benchmark is a stuffed 8GB nano so I know that I'll be holding out for a 16 gig iPhone too. 4 days ago I had what appeared to be the last 16 gig in Scotland in my hand (it had been saved for a customer but then declined) but Carphone Warehouse's computer couldn't complete the transaction as my house didn't have a number, only a name. Apparently CPW aren't able to fix this problem until Monday (4 Aug). Why did Apple/o2 choose these muppets?

Apparently my multiple efforts to validate my identity in CPW have rendered my card useless in their store for a month so even if they fix their computer problem I can't proceed.

I've had no better luck than that since and I need a phone for travel next week. I'd like it to be an iPhone!

22. Jam03 macrumors newbie

I would honestly say no you don't need a 16gb, But it really depends on how much stuff you think you actually need to take with you when your out. I have the 8gb, with 230 songs (1.6gb's roughly), 2 2 hour+ movies, 2 episodes of American Dad, 2 episodes of Family Guy and 3 episodes of Two And A Half Men and 4 applications...and I still have 2.8gb's of space left.

But like I said...It really depends on how much stuff you think you really need to take with you :)

23. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Like your closets and your garage, you'll fill your iphone to whatever capacity you can, whether 8 or 16GB, and likely never use have the stuff you load on it.

24. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I bought the a 16GB only because I wanted the White.

25. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

Could not have said it better:D Like I said in previous post, you will only use about 10% of the things you put on their. It make me laugh when people say " You will be sorry when you run out of memory". The only thing I'd be sorry about is not ever really putting to use the extra 90% of clutter.

I already have 4 pages of apps on my phone right now that really should be 1 page of 4 apps. (not that apps take up that much space anyway.)

Music-71 songs that I may get around listening to. I'll just say pandora changed the way I listen to most of my music now. (surprised apple let it through).

Movies- 1... and probably will really never need more than that unless I'm on a trip or something.

photos- 46 do I really need that many? I cant see me or anyone else wanting to look at all 46 photo's.

Available space- 6.4gb out of 7.1 gb

I'm feeling good considering their is a lot I could delete.

FYI, the resale value difference between a 8gb and 16 gb is probably only $50.