8gb in Early 2008 MBP 4,1 under Lion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 505pike, Jul 19, 2012.

1. 505pike, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012

505pike macrumors newbie

I know 6gb is what people have found to run in their 4,1 MBP's, but I do not like running miss-matched ram at all, and there are reports of people screwing the logic board up because of heat, and also reports of performance loss.
    I have searched, but it seems nobody had attempted 8gb in a 4,1 under Lion...Anybody?

2. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

It will not support it. That is hardware impediment, not software (Lion).

3. 505pike, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012

505pike thread starter macrumors newbie

I kinda figured that would be the general response, but this is what has me scratching my head-http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithcombs/archive/2008/07/05/testing-my-apple-macbook-pro-with-8gb-of-ram.aspx
    His machine is from 2007, and although it's a Santa Rosa chip, the Penryn in the early 2008 models is comparable, maybe it's the chipset that is the issue, as I read some where the Penryn is using a Crestline, " In notebooks and other mobile equipment, Penryn pairs with the mobile chipset series Crestline, which does not support DDR3, although Intel believes[3] future DDR3 support will benefit mobile equipment's power- and heat-constrained environments". Qouted from wikipedia.

Another thing that has me pondering the whole 8gb thing is his screen shot shows he is running Leopard, which was written differently than say Snow Leopard, or Lion so it could function on the PPC platform as well.
    I would give it a go if I wasn't worried about catastropic failure. Just has me wondering.