8GB in Macbook 2010?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SBradford, Jan 17, 2012.

1. SBradford macrumors member

does anyone think this is needed?
    Atm I have 4GB. I've installed Lion and noticed that it is a tad slow sometimes when loading apps (bounces for a while), but I've read that a clean install of Lion would usually fix that.

Should I wait a few years, when it starts getting really slow and install it then? (along with a SSD - hopefully they'll be cheaper!)

I don't use very intensive apps, I just use a lot at once. Steam, word, spotify, itunes, chrome, mail, skype.

What do you think?

2. Macman45, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

My 2011 has 8GB and never misses a beat....But your point about SSD's is a valid one. My MBA with only 4GB but with the 256 SSD is super quick.

On the whole, I'd say it's worth it...Prices have come down recently...Crucial, Newegg etc. are the places to check.

3. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

An upgrade now wouldn't hurt. As mentioned above, it's relatively cheap at the moment. Adding additional RAM will greatly enhance your ability to run applications simultaneously. Why suffer with with inadequate RAM for years when you don't need to?

4. SBradford thread starter macrumors member

I could buy 8GB on Amazon for £28 which seems like a really good deal as the 4GB in this atm costs £40 at the start of the year.

Will I see a significant increase in performance with stuff such as boot time and app loading/running?

thanks.

5. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

For faster boot up times you'd want to be looking at upgrading your HDD to one with a higher RPM. A SSD will give you very fast boot up times. Upgrading RAM in an effort to speed up boot times will be futile at best.

A RAM increase may see your applications launch a wee bit quicker. Launch times is where your CPU comes into play. And you can't do much about your CPU.

6. SBradford thread starter macrumors member

hm, I wonder why my launch times are so slow then, my CPU never seems to be too much, it's running with 81% idle a the moment with a few apps open.

thanks for your help guys.

7. SBradford thread starter macrumors member

just an update, when I created a new user account all my apps seemed to open up straight away and it was much faster than my current user account. Is there any reason to explain this? should i wipe this account and make a new one?

8. ivorito macrumors member

Im thinking of upgrading from 4gb to 8 aswell. Can anyone suggest the correct ram i need to buy for it? Also will the applecare be affected seeing as they say the maximum is 4gb? Thanks