8GB in the MBP - Best Performance

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Hello guys,

I installed 8GB of ram in my MBP a month ago and I was wondering which OS will give me better performance with those 8GB. Now I have SL installed in my MBP. Would Lion give me better performance? Or shoul I stay with SL?

Thanks

Last edited:

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
The OS doesn't matter so much when it comes to RAM performance. However, on older machines, snow leopard does offer better overall performance than lion.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Windows usually has slightly less power efficient optimizations, so things tend to run faster. The CPU turbos higher longer and most drivers are better written especially GPU drivers.

Just food for thought, you're flexible.

rpmor

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2012
I don't know... I remembered that I installed Lion in my MBP and didn't like it. It was kind of wierd.
more detail? cause i don't see ML changing that much from Lion in terms of its presentation

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
You know that this is one of the reasons that I don't want to buy an iMac now... it will come with Lion.
Is your current machine lagging? If not I'd just stick with SL for now, then buy a new machine once mountain lion stabilizes.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Is your current machine lagging? If not I'd just stick with SL for now, then buy a new machine once mountain lion stabilizes.
My computer is running fine now... I was just wondering if it would run better with Lion.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
My computer is running fine now... I was just wondering if it would run better with Lion.
Personally I like Snow Leopard. When mountain lion debuts, I'll wait for a version where all software I use is checked off as running okay before I jump on a new machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.