Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonjosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Hi, I am planning on buying a 8GB iTouch. I am wondering if I buy one will it be 3rd gen or 2nd gen? Also, if it is a 3rd gen will it be jailbreakable?

Thanks. :D

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
The current 8GB touch is exactly the same as last year's. Yes, it is jailbreakable.

jonjosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
So only the 32gb and 64gb are the 3rd generations?

So the 8gb iTouch can be classified as an 2nd Gen?

jonjosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
EDIT: Oh and if I update the itouch to the latest firmware would it still be jailbreakable?

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
It is, but tethered.

Are you sure? I thought that was only for the updated 32GB and 64GB models? I have a 2nd gen touch (ok, it's 32GB but the current 8GB model is still just the 2nd gen one anyway) and I jailbroke it on the latest software, and it's untethered...

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
He's buying a new one. It will be "3G." (MC). Therefore, it will be tethered.

Please read the entire thread before posting. It's not even 10 posts long.

The current 8GB touch is exactly the same as the 8GB touch released in 2008, except it has 3.1.2 preloaded.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Please read the entire thread before posting. It's not even 10 posts long.

The current 8GB touch is exactly the same as the 8GB touch released in 2008, except it has 3.1.2 preloaded.

Unfortunately, in addition to having 3.1.2 preloaded, Apple tweaked the 8GB touch to close the exploit used by previous jailbreak methods. So the "MC" Touch can only be jailbroken tethered.

What does tethered mean?

If your ipod gets powered off, or needs to reboot, then you need to connect it to a computer (tether) and rerun the jailbreak program in order to start it up. You can, however, respring without tethering.

jonjosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Ohh, what does respring mean? What does "MC" mean. Sorry if i ask too much questions I'm a noob at this. :p

jonjosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
So, If I make the iTouch into sleep mode do I have to tether it again?

To power off an iTouch you hold the power button, right?
To put it in sleep you just press the power button once, right?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
So, If I make the iTouch into sleep mode do I have to tether it again?

To power off an iTouch you hold the power button, right?
To put it in sleep you just press the power button once, right?

You are right about how to put it to sleep. To power off, you hold the power button *and* slide the on-screen arrow to power off.

And, no, you don't have to tether to wake up the touch from sleep. I have a 3rd gen Touch on a tethered jailbreak, and so far, I've gone a few weeks w/o having to power off or reboot. Before I did it, I was a bit apprehensive about being tethered, but it's going a lot smoothly than I expected.

GeekAtBirth

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2009
When you put it to sleep, you do not need to use the program again to boot since it is not off. Regarding your other questions, to power off you hold the power button until a slider pops up asking you to slide to power off. You would press the power button once to sleep.

jonjosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Okay! Thanks for the help. :D I thought that tethered jailbreaks are a pain but now I think they aren't as much pain as I thought.

I won't have a problem keeping the iTouch from powering off. :D I have a wall charger. Now I need is a case.

EDIT: Hmm, Is there any differences from Blackrain and Pwnagetool?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
EDIT: Hmm, Is there any differences from Blackrain and Pwnagetool?

Pwnage Tool doesn't work on new ipod touch. It's also Mac only. Blackra1n works on all touch, though the 3rd gen will be tethered, and there are both Mac and Windows versions.

DrawnToLife

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
You get the ability to install Cydia, which is kind of like an underground appstore.
From there you can install themes, mods, tweaks, etc.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Can you enter DFU mode with blackra1n? And what does DFU mode do?

DFU is the last resort method used to kick a messed up ipod/iphone into a mode where it will accept a fresh installation of firmware. It is also sometimes used during jailbreak to "clean out" the device so it will accept the jailbreak. So it's not something that works with or without any particular jailbreak. It's something you fall back on when something goes very wrong with your device, like if it completely stops responding, gets stuck while booting, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.