8gb itouch only holding 819 songs ?????

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tdfoster, Jan 3, 2010.

1. tdfoster macrumors newbie

I know it is supposed to hold up to 1700, and I searched the itunes help, and it told me to change the format, which looked like it was pretty much already where it said it should be... what is going on?? I am VERY frustrated...
    Thanks for any info!!!

2. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

What format/bitrate is your music encoded at? Are you putting movies and photos on there as well?

Edit: I'm guessing that when they say 1700, they are using 128 kbps as their bit rate measurement. More than likely, your songs are at 256 kbps--taking up x2 as much space, giving you half the amount of songs able to fit on there.

3. tdfoster thread starter macrumors newbie

I did change it to 128 kbps and nothing happens..do I have to restore or something..

4. na1577 macrumors 6502a

Another variable is song length, so if you have a lot of songs longer than four minutes (which is what Apple measures by), fewer songs will fit.

Also, if you have other media taking up space, you obviously won't be able to fit the maximum amount of songs.

Edit: ^ Restoring won't do you any good. You can't create more space other than by removing other media or lowering the size/quality of the current files you have loaded onto your iPod.

5. tdfoster thread starter macrumors newbie

I have NO other media on it. No pictures, no album artwork, no videos, no movies,nothing, songs only.
    Most of my songs are in the 4 minute range, and for sure most of them aren't so long it would take up double the space.
    I am ready to chuck this thing out the window.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

why oh why!??!

Man keep the quality!

Do have many apps on your ipod? Those eat up alot of space too

7. tdfoster thread starter macrumors newbie

I literally have nothing on it- I just got it for christmas and all I have done with it is put music on it.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

when you plug it in itunes, what is the bar at the bottom say? where it tells you what is taking what space and whatnot (its that colored bar on the screen with the ipod)

9. tdfoster thread starter macrumors newbie

10. tman07 macrumors regular

and instead of throwing it out the window, why not send it to me please:):)

As it already has been said:
    1. keep your songs at 256 kbps- they will sounds so much better than at 128kbps.

2. deal with it, my 8gig touch only has 370 songs on it. And its filled to the brim. A combination of longer songs and a higher bit rate than the advertised really messes things up. Just let it be buddy, just let it be.

3. Apps take up lots of space as well. Rockband is like 159megs itself. add a few large apps and you are at a gig of just apps

11. na1577 macrumors 6502a

Judging by his/her previous posts, I don't think sound quality is much of a concern. So reducing it to 128 kbps isn't a big deal.

12. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

When he reduced it, it only changed the future import settings. All of his music that he currently has is still at 256. Changing the settings doesn't magically change the bitrate of existing songs.

13. na1577 macrumors 6502a

Right click -> Create AAC* Version

That will change the file to the quality designated in the Import Settings. (which is what I am assuming the OP did)

14. byulasfjazz macrumors regular

byulasfjazz

8gigs doesn't mean 8 gigs... More like 6.5 maybe 7

15. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

IIRC my old 8GB touch was shown as roughly 7.29GB in iTunes.

16. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

So while you may have converted your songs to a lower bit-rate, it sounds like the higher-bit-rate ones are still what is being synced to the iPod.

If you are trying to put as many songs as possible on there, and have more than the claimed max 1700, then you need to convert your songs to lower bit-rate first (sounds like you already have,) then tell the iPod not to sync higher-bit-rate songs.

In iTunes, create a new "Smart Playlist". (File -> "New Smart Playlist")

Change the boxes to be "Bit Rate" "is less than" and type in a number slightly higher than the bit-rate you manually created. (so if you created 128 kbps, type in '130'.)

Click "OK" to close the dialog box, then find the newly created "untitled playlist" in your source list, and give it a more descriptive name, like "Low Bit-rate".

Now click on your iPod touch in the source list, go to the "Muisc" tab, choose "Selected playlists, artists, and genres", and make sure the only thing with a check is the "Low Bit-rate" playlist. Every other playlist, artist, and genre should not be checked.

Click "Sync".

Of course, you really have to ask yourself, will you ever go long enough between syncs that you will listen to all 819 songs you have now? If your entire library doesn't fit on the iPod, even at lower bit-rates, then you'll have some sub-set anyway. You might as well not go through tons of effort to cram more on if it won't get 100% of your music on. Just sync more often. (I know I never listen to every song on my iPhone between syncs, I just have a select few playlists of "always on the iPhone" songs, and have the "Automatically fill free space with songs" checked, which means every time I hit Sync, it picks new stuff to swap in.