Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SgtP3pp3r

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Honduras
I was hoping to get some insight as to what brand memory i should get.

I'm on an early 2011 15" MBP 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, wanting to go from 4Gb to 8Gb

I want to make sure I receive Lion with open arms when i actually do the upgrade.

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
I love OWC's products (http://www.macsales.com). 8 GB with shipping is around $90, which is probably $20 or $30 more than something on sale at NewEgg, but the quality of their stuff has been top notch for me.

I was hoping to get some insight as to what brand memory i should get.

I'm on an early 2011 15" MBP 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, wanting to go from 4Gb to 8Gb

I want to make sure I receive Lion with open arms when i actually do the upgrade.

ABadSanta

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
I have the 2011 2.0 ghz 15", and before I booted it up for the first time i installed 8 GB of G Skill DDR3 1333 mhz 10600 from newegg.com. Laptop read it perfectly.

Hyper-X

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2011
I've always gone with Crucial memory, zero problems. Fast shipping, quality products, the individual chips were also of the same brand as the OEM.

After using my MBP with 8GB, I'd never consider using one at 4GB.

lindstedt56

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
There is no quality between OWC and newegg ram. The only difference and newegg offers this ram for 15-40$ cheaper then OWC is that its "Mac Certified" which is a scam in my opinion.

All of the non "mac certified" ddr 3 ram which is 30-40$ cheaper then OWC will work in your MBP.

sh0ebox

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
It's highly unlikely that you'll notice a difference between any of the most popular options (Crucial, G.Skill, OWC) once you put it in your Mac. IMO just go with the cheapest option as it will serve you just as well.

I got the G.Skill set from NewEgg about a week and a half ago when it was on sale for $50. I've had a set of G.Skill DDR desktop RAM in my PC that I built 5 and a half years ago that is still going strong and has never had any issues. It's even overclocked as well, so I can vouch for G.Skill in terms of quality. Many people may not have heard of the brand and thus are susceptible to thinking that it is not good quality, but it's actually quite popular amongst the PC gaming world. You're probably just as likely to have as many (or few) problems with any other brand of RAM so I wouldn't fuss over the price.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
There is no quality between OWC and newegg ram. The only difference and newegg offers this ram for 15-40$ cheaper then OWC is that its "Mac Certified" which is a scam in my opinion.

All of the non "mac certified" ddr 3 ram which is 30-40$ cheaper then OWC will work in your MBP.

OWC does offer an advance replacement service, so they ship new RAM to you and then you ship the bad RAM back--fairly quick. So it's not like they don't offer anything, though I agree they are a bit pricey.

SgtP3pp3r

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Honduras
Well when it comes to my MBP, price is no object.

I really couldn't fuss on an additional $40 for doubling the RAM on a machine i payed $2200 for (Specially when u consider the reason i payed $2200 was to make sure i was getting a quality product).

I really appreciate all the insight, and tho i'm tempted to go with the Crucial, i'll try the OWC. Call me a fool, but i feel that "Mac Certified" label just might be worth the extra cash.

Thanks to all :D

hehe299792458

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008

I really couldn't fuss on an additional $40 for doubling the RAM on a machine i payed $2200 for (Specially when u consider the reason i payed $2200 was to make sure i was getting a quality product).

I really appreciate all the insight, and tho i'm tempted to go with the Crucial, i'll try the OWC. Call me a fool, but i feel that "Mac Certified" label just might be worth the extra cash.

I've used Crucial's 8GB ram, which has been great thus far (with both SL and L). 8GB is much faster for me for both OS's

dsio

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Australia

+1 Paying a mac tax to anyone other than Apple is wasting your money...

blueridge

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
Western NC
just ordered MBP 15" today.. was looking at upgrading the memory right off the bat to 8GB.. saw this thread.. they have same mem on amazon for free ship with prime.. so either newegg or amazon.. i prob go with newegg. :)

khadgar2k1

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
has anyone experienced a drop in battery life?

I think when I was on the stock 4GB, i had twice as much battery life as I do now when I'm on 8GB corsair

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011

But you're paying an extra $40 for ZERO benefit. If you're going to do that, at least mail me the check :D G.Skill is one of the absolute best brands for RAM and tons of people have it in their MBPs with no problems whatsoever. It's one of the only compatible kits that have a FULL 5 "Eggs" on Newegg with over 200 reviews.

dsio

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Australia
If anyone wants to buy their G.skill/Kingston or whatever, I'm willing to Mac Certify it for $30. That's still $10 less that OWC.

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
If anyone wants to buy their G.skill/Kingston or whatever, I'm willing to Mac Certify it for $30. That's still $10 less that OWC.

$25 from me. Sorry dsio, rules of capitalism :D

Reminds me of this:
lostipodtouch50.jpg

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
has anyone experienced a drop in battery life?

I think when I was on the stock 4GB, i had twice as much battery life as I do now when I'm on 8GB corsair

I think you're remembering incorrectly. I don't see how the addition of memory, even doubling it, would result in a 50% decrease in battery life.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
I just went with Crucial memory last week. I installed it today and it seems to work fine after a few memory tests. I feel better about running virtual machines with 8GB instead of 4. With 4, I was pushing the boundaries a bit. Hope that helps in your decision-making process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.