8GB memory upgrade for MBP i7 advise needed please!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JodyK, Jun 21, 2010.

1. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

I just got my new MBP i7 today ... WOW it's fast! It benches on Geekbench about 30% faster then my 7 month old 2.8 dual core MBP!

Anyway back on topic ... I am going to some upgrades on it ... one being the memory.

My question is any ddr3 ok to use. I saw some on ebay CHEAP ... $240 for 8GB (4GB x 2). It is some off brand stuff I am sure. There is another listing for some more main stream name brand memory but it is way way more expensive.

So what do you guys think. Is all ddr3 created equal? What would you do?

2. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

don't buy memory off ebay, just get it off newegg.com it'll be better, brand new and shipped much faster with warranty and excellent customer support, probably cheaper as well

3. budman1961 macrumors regular

4. Demthios macrumors member

5. Snowbound macrumors regular

In my experience, ebay RAM has worked out, but it's certainly riskier. The links above are probably worth it, if only for the piece of mind.

6. JodyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

JodyK

I am going to make the jump and try out the NuRam its Cas Latency is 7 and can't complain about the price! Thanks you guys for turning me on to it!

7. condo19 macrumors newbie

I want to know about 1333mhz has anyone had any sucess? It shows up and reports as 1333 in 27" Imac. My new Macbook Pro 15" I7 antiglare gets here tommorow and I would rather go that route.

8. Jaxdialation macrumors regular

Interesting that folks blow a bundle on MBPs, then pucker up when its time to upgrade them.

9. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

The iMacs do support 1333mhz ram, but nobody's commented on its long-term stability. The core2duos in the macbookpros should be able to handle them too.

There's really no point to put 1333mhz ram in it tho, as there's really not that much things that would benefit from the extra memory bandwidth (21gb/s compared to 17gb/s). What would you be doing that utilizes 21gb/s bandwidth?

10. condo19 macrumors newbie

Making music using Ableton live,logic etc... Video editing and Computer Forensics. The forensics stuff can be crazy with memory but a lot of that is limited to the speed of the hard drives you are working with. Wish they had USB 3 and and left the express card. I would use the express for esata. If they had USB 3 I could live without express card.

11. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

I ended up purchasing the NuRam from OWC and though they have a program where they'll buy your ram for $50 dollars. I ended up selling my ram on craigslist for 80, plus I didn't have to worry about shipping or anything.

12. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

can somebody give me a link to see how much faster a new computer will be? OP said it was 30% faster, so I was looking for something like that. I am getting a new MacBook Pro and im upgrading from this Sh*tty PC, so I just wanted to see how much faster my new computer would be:D

13. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65