8Gb model actually cost most this year for existing customers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tritonj, Jun 8, 2009.

1. tritonj macrumors 6502a

i haven't seen this mentioned yet, if memory serves me when the 3G launched last year the pricing was

$199 for 8Gb
    $299 for 16Gb

now pricing for the new 3GS is

for new contracts
    $99 for 8Gb (3G model, no 3GS)
    $199 for 16Gb
    $299 for 32Gb

existing contracts pricing is

$299 for 8Gb (3G model, no 3GS)
    $399 for 16Gb
    $499 for 32Gb

how in the world can the 8Gb actually cost more now than it did a year ago to existing contracts?

this is not a complaint, but something that i caught and find funny and ironic

2. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Because it was $399 last year for existing contracts, where it's $299 now...

3. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Fixed it for you

4. tritonj thread starter macrumors 6502a

not to existing contracts who had gen 1 iPhones... so is apple trying to punish those who didn't upgrade last year and renew their contracts?

because there is no mention of provision for iPhone users this year on getting a price break

so say someone grabbed a gen 1 last year in before 3G, they were offered a break and could get a 3G as if they were a new customer, but some didn't take it they stuck with their original.

now this year they want to upgrade, and apple is going to tell them that they are paying the higher price as if they were everyone else

this is funny because part of the justification for giving all iPhone users the price break last year was because the Gen 1 was unsubsidized. and now they essentially take that benefit away.

again, not a complaint just an observation that I find funny

5. tritonj thread starter macrumors 6502a

i grabbed the pricing off of Engadgets blog, were they wrong?

6. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Have you not read any actual posts from WWDC? The higher prices are if you ARE NOT upgrade eligible. If you have an original iPhone and never upgraded you should still be eligible for an upgrade. Thus you get the fully subsidized pricing.

If you upgraded to a different handset to include the iPhone 3G you ARE NOT upgrade eligible and thus you must pay the higher prices.

7. tritonj thread starter macrumors 6502a

i've been following Engadgets blog no mention of it

and no need for the sarcastic confrontational tone either, bad form

8. dave006 macrumors 68020

If you are not; "Upgrade Eligible", adding a new line or are not a new AT&T customer: Just add $200 to the prices to arrive at your price to upgrade to the iPhone 3G S. There is no special discount for existing iPhone 3G customers that are currently in contract.

Dave