Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyberthom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
Hello there,

I plan on buying a hex-core 2010 mac pro soon and started to look around for cheaper 3rd party memory modules. I want to start with 16GB (2x8GB) to then add another 16GB (2x8GB) later down the line. However, Im a bit confused by the warning/special note OWC displays next to the 8gb modules:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory#1333-memory
8GB Module sets require that all installed modules be of the same kind OWC 8GB module.

What exactly does this mean? Simply that for any 8GB modules to work no other capacities (e.g. 2GB or 4GB modules) are allowed or also that all 8GB modules have to be exactly the same manufacturer and make (In which case I would run into problems down the line buying two OWC modules and then maybe two Corsair modules!?)?

On a similar note, since I am based in the UK, are there any good places to shop for RAM so I can avoid having to pay Import Tax? I want good quality modules so all the 'Value' ranges scare me slightly but at the same time I'm up for good value too.

Thanks for any advice,
Thom

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
8GB modules will only work with other registered ECC DDR3 memory. The only "Mac Pro" branded memory that is registered are 8GB modules.

From what I've seen so far you aren't going to find 8GB modules cheaper than OWC in the UK, and import duty is minimal.

cyberthom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
8GB modules will only work with other registered ECC DDR3 memory. The only "Mac Pro" branded memory that is registered are 8GB modules.

From what I've seen so far you aren't going to find 8GB modules cheaper than OWC in the UK, and import duty is minimal.

any idea how much it is? hmrc website says that it's usually 5-9 percent. i remember last time i imported something i had to pay a parcelforce 'handling fee' of £25 on top of the actual customs tax which made it seem like 30% - probably why i never ordered from usa again.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Should be VAT + handling fee. There is no duty on computer memory.

You could try these. Can just return them within a week using the distance selling laws if they have any issue with a Mac Pro. Or look on non-UK European stores.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.