Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CC424

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
I updated my RAM 1 month after getting my MBP and it is still slow. Web browsing is a PIA...Tolerable but I expected more out of 8gb.

Anyone else experiencing the same?

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
RAM isn't made to speed things up. It's to store more information for running applications at the same time.

Slow web browsing is all to do with your internet/router connection.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Doesn't sound like RAM is your problem at all... especially when it comes to web browsing

What browser are you using
What router
What are your settings
What ISP
Have you checked speedtest

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
I updated my RAM 1 month after getting my MBP and it is still slow. Web browsing is a PIA...Tolerable but I expected more out of 8gb.

maybe you have too many things running also whats your internet speed for all i know no matter how much ram you have with a slow connection the web brwosing experience will be slow as well.

Maybe install a flash block

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010

Coming from someone on a Dell Mini 10v netbook running osx, 2gb ram runs the internet in safari very well :) I'd say: check your browser, and check your internet speed.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
My Macbook Pro came standard with 1gb of RAM... I've since upgraded it to a whopping 3gb of RAM, less than 1/2 of what you have, and all of my apps open within a bounce or two (iTunes obviously being an exception) and the internet works just speedy.

I'd suggest looking over your internet speed as Safari will stop responding and even crash if your network connection randomly drops out a lot.

Also, you never told us if it's opening Safari or browsing the net. If the issue is opening Safari (and other programs), then there's another issue going on here that isn't being addressed.

CC424

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
Thanks for the responses...I did not think about the internet connection but I currently have U-verse.

I was generally speaking about the web browsing speed because I noticed the speed while browsing. I get beach balls when switching apps.

I was wondering if there is a setting that I need to adjust like on windows?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Thanks for the responses...I did not think about the internet connection but I currently have U-verse.

I was generally speaking about the web browsing speed because I noticed the speed while browsing. I get beach balls when switching apps.

I was wondering if there is a setting that I need to adjust like on windows?

Beach balls between apps.... Now we're getting somewhere. Now I am thinking you could have a HDD issue that should be checked out.

CC424

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
How do I check it out? I also updated my original hd to a 1tb samsung drive but the new drive cause major vibration problems. So, I have put the original drive back in.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Is your MBP still under warranty? If so bring it in to the Apple Store.

There is also SMARTReporter, but I doubt it's effectiveness because SMART wasn't written with enough reporting robustness.

Another method which is a bit time consuming and requires an IBM PC.

If you have access to an IBM PC, you can purchase a copy of Spinrite, then remove your HDD from the Mac and get an adapter to connect it to the IBM (if it has an IDE controller), otherwise connect it using the SATA cables. Then run Spinrite on it.

I use Spinrite all the time to repair bad sectors on failing HDD's and also to restore a bad HDD so the data can be recovered before putting in a new HDD. It's also good to run it as a regular HDD maintenance tool.

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
RAM seems to either 1) work without issue, or 2) outright fail. Kingston RAM has been used by a lot of people on the MBP. As said, unless you are using a few hundred tabs or other resource-intensive programs, RAM may not affect performance much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.