8GB of "other" ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ericg301, Apr 17, 2012.

1. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

So I'm running out of space on my 16GB wifi iPad 2. Plugged it into my PC to get a closer look, and "other" takes up almost 8 GB! That can't be right, can it? Apps almost take up 2 GB, no music, and a few videos.

2. qCzar macrumors regular

Mail from the mail app counts toward other, as does notes. Try limiting Mail to downloading only 50 messages instead of 200 and limit your mail accounts to just a couple.

3. zurichuk macrumors regular

Try closing down some apps? I noticed that after I deleted some watched videos, the space only came back after closing the video app.

4. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

5. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Here's the deal! When you try to sync to iTunes with limited space on your iPad and and some apps fail to sync to iTunes, The failed apps will be stored in a location of the iPad file system in .zip format. That location can build up with .zips Therefore taking up space and showing up as "other".

You can get rid of the hidden files showing up as "Other", but you need to be a little savvy and familiar with iPhone Explorer AKA iExplorer.

There are a few locations in the iPad filesystem that store hidden files that can be deleted that show up as "Other".

6. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

Mine grew quickly when I added a LOT of photos being synced from iPhoto. I have about 4GB of "other" that disappears when I remove the photos. I'm not sure what metadata is carrying over with these photos to create this "other" data, but that's what it appears to be on mine.

7. dancj macrumors 6502

If you've had a sync get interrupted halfway through this can happen.

A reboot and resync might fix it. If not then doing a Restore and then rebuilding it from the backup should get rid of it. (I don't think this is the same thing as the "restore from backup" which I think won't get rid of it)

8. ericg301 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did a restore, then backup from iCloud. OTHER is now only 1.5 GB. I'll keep an eye on it as I start using apps again. Does anyone know if app data is included in OTHER, or does it go under the APPs category?

9. b.c. macrumors 6502

this same issue with a growing "Other" space exists on earlier iPad and iPhone too. lots of misc stuff is stored in there and sometimes it seems to grow unusually large. an earlier thread discussing it is here

try doing a restore, it should reduce it to reasonable size if Other becomes excessively large.

10. whynotgotovegas macrumors member

I'm not 100% sure but I think that cydia and cydia tweaks take up space in the other category. This is of course you're on a jail broken iPad, but if not it may be notes and mail and such.

11. qCzar macrumors regular

Any size increase by an app through collection (such as adding maps to a GPS app) will show as an increased app size.

12. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I had the same problem with almost the same amount of 'other' a month back.
    In my case, it happened when a couple of sync cycles got stuck in the last stage for a few hours, and I guess data got dumped in the 'other' section.

I tried everything, but ultimately, only a restore got rid of it. I restored from a backup, so that works too.