8GB of Ram and STILL Lagging? *Pic*

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by collegeguy, Mar 15, 2012.

1. collegeguy macrumors newbie

Hello,

I recently upgraded my MacBook Pro 13" 2.14ghZ (2010) to 8GB of Ram from 4, and it was just overheating.

All I was doing was watching a youtube video. Before I took the picture I quite a safari process which was using almost all of the available free memory.

Is this right? I only had 4gb a week ago and I've been able to have pages, preview, microsoft word, safari, illustrator AND photoshop open and then it starts getting laggy, but I don't even have photoshop open and it was using pretty much all the 8GB.

Anything you can suggest? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sort in descending order by the CPU column and post again. Also, take a look at these: Performance Tips For Mac OS X

Also, it's OK if all your RAM is in use. That's what it's there for. To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

3. Davewithak macrumors regular