8gb of ram in Macbook? Not Pro model.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by van2010rulz, Jun 28, 2010.

1. van2010rulz macrumors regular

I was going through the Macbook Pro forum and inside a thread debating about Macbook and Macbook Pro stock there was somebody who replied with you can put 8gb of ram into the white unibody Macbooks? Is this true? Will it void the warranty? This will be my first Mac so if i can save $200 then i will get the Macbook. I really have no need for a backlit keyboard or firewire ports and the sd card reader.

Thanks!

2. van2010rulz thread starter macrumors regular

Ah that is something that i forgot to add. Thanks! My uses are internet email word powerpoint skype msn messenger light video and photo editing. The only reason why i want to make sure that i can upgrade to 8 is because i would like to have this computer for 5 years if im lucky. If ram is something i can add then why not.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

4GB is more than enough for your needs, you can always upgrade at a later time, when 4GB RAM sticks get cheaper. As of now, two 1GB sticks (2GB model) or two 2GB sticks (4GB upgrade) are used.

4. van2010rulz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot for your help, but after looking again i think im going to go with a refurbished Macbook Pro. Just because of the case and the backlit keyboard. Even though i don't need the backlit, might be good to have.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Since I have a backlit keyboard, I don't wanna go back either. It's a small, but thoughtful addition, that may seem unnecessary, but isn't.

Have fun with your new Mac.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

6. van2010rulz thread starter macrumors regular