8gb only on launch day? (UK)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gamst, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Gamst macrumors regular

Gamst

Has anyone had an official confirmation that the 16gb iPhone will be available on launch day?

I've just been into the o2 shops in the Trafford Centre in Manchester. The first shop told me the 16gb and the PAYG Phones will be available 1-2 weeks after the 11th. The first shop also told me I could sign up for my contract now.

The 2nd shop told me the 16gb would be available at launch, but the white model will be a week after. He also told me there wasn't an option to start a contract in advance.

So what is the score?! First post here by the way! :)

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I highly expect both models to be available, and in stores, on July 11th.

Apple stated the launch date for iPhone 3G as July 11th at WWDC, and then explained there were two storage options.
    Which suggests to me, they plan on launching both models together, as there was no obvious date differential between models.

R-Fly

3. Geffen macrumors 6502

It wouldn't make sense for Apple to release just the 8GB 3G model iphone and not the 16GB on launch day for the 3G version iphone, both iphone models would be available on July 11th.

4. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

I'd be very very surprised if they did this. It would affect sales and affect how successful the launch would be. I'd imagine previous iPhone owners will go for the 16gb, and newcomers for the 8gb. If they only had 8gb's in day 1 I'd seriously start doubting whether to upgrade as I'd be so annoyed

5. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

why would they release only the 8GB on launch day. Was only the 4GB available when the first iPhone was released. Steve Jobs didn't say anything about 16GB available later in the year, while the 8GB will be available July 11. :confused:

6. Gamst thread starter macrumors regular

Gamst

I hope the guy in the first shop was wrong, though he seemed pretty confident and seemed at least semi intelligent! :)

If it is only the 8gb version launched, I will just wait for the 16gb. I've booked the 11th off though, so will be pretty annoyed :-(

7. andyhofer macrumors member

I went to my local O2 store in the midlands yesterday and told me something similar

Only the 8Gb would be available on launch day and the 16Gb would be a couple of weeks. Also said that contract and PAYG would both be available.

When I asked re opening at 7.02am they said it depended on the shopping centre opening time which is understandable, but they said that they may stay open later on the day before, 10th July, as this is what they did the last time the Iphone came out, giving people the chance to have the phone early.:)