8GB or 16GB iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gazfocus, Jan 1, 2009.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I am going to be buying an iPhone on o2 PAYG next week and I was all set to buy an 8GB one, however, I've actually looked at the prices now and realized that the 16GB iPhone is only an extra £50.

Would you guys say it's worth paying the extra for double the capacity?

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

It depends on how much you want to carry around. I've been fine with 8GB despite my library being over fifty. If you can manage playlists well, the 8 will treat you fine. If you want to carry lots, though, then it will be worth it for you.

3. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I want to use the iPhone as a PDA type device and not sure how much info I'll be storing on it. I had an 8GB iPod Nano which I sold to my brother and I never filled it, however, I only had a few cds on my computer but I am in the process of ripping all my cds to iTunes so will make it a bit more difficult to keep organized.

4. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Get the 16GB and go for the white :D It's easy to manage stuff on either device, yes, but it's nice to not have to limit yourself as much.

5. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Why white? Lol...I was gonna go for the black one.

6. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I was just messing around. I just really love the white one :)

7. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

16G

I originally got the 8G and in the first week had about 1.5 gig left.
    Now with the 16G I have 9G left.
    The extra $100 was worth getting the extra room.
    I have had 13.7G loaded while staying at the in laws for a week.

Get the opposite color you want, then you will have an excuse to buy different covers :)

8. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Yeah I can imagine that feeling. I've recently been looking at video podcasts that would be really useful for my church which I imagine could eat up a whole load of space.

9. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Yeah if a 32G comes out I will be upgrading.
    My son is going to school for graphic media/animation and I want to be able to download andstore some of his work on the iphone. You just never know who you might bump into.

10. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

If a 32GB comes out and is the same price as the 16GB currently is, I might consider that instead :D but not banking on it.

11. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I think it will be a while for the 32G. :(

12. fishmoose macrumors 68000

My tip is when going for any type of electronics with storage capacity always go for the one with the most capacity, you can never have to much space but you can have to little!

13. gotzaiPhone macrumors member

When I bought my v1 iPhone, I never used an iPod or a mp3 player before and being that this was well before the introduction of the app store, I felt there was no need for the 16GB phone. Well, the longer I had my phone, the more I found myself converting all my CDs into iTunes and noticing that 8GB of memory goes fast. So when the 3G came out and I upgraded, I went with the 16GB and am happy I did.

Moral of the story, if you will be using this as an iPod too, get the 16GB if you can swing the extra $$.

14. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I got the 8GB when i got mine last month. I could've requested the 16GB but didn't really see the point, my commute playlist easily fits the 8GB, i dont have that many apps and since the iPhone is likely to be updated again within 6 months i didn't see the point of spending the extra £50...might as well put that towards the new phone since it's more likely to have significant hardware changes

15. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

If you're spending £342.50 on an iPhone, which is a lot, you may as well go the whole hog and get the 16gb. You'll be kicking yourself if you run out of room on the 8gb. Also, on a side note, I would get the white one too, just looks nicer IMO.

But I'm waiting for the summer before I get mine. The touch can see me through until then.

16. gjw4u macrumors 6502

OP, for just storing music, the 8GB has enough space, but once you start adding Video Podcasts, 16GB is the one to choose. I'd go for the 16GB one.

17. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Aren't podcasts sound files just like music? Typically, the need to keep videos on the iPhone, or a really massive amount of music, drives people to 16 gb.

18. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I have spent the last few days scouring Ebay and CL searching for a first gen 16gb phone, so definitely go for the 16gb. I don't think, as others have said, you will ever regret having too much space.

Jude