8GB or 16GB Ram for 2011 Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Riptide62, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Riptide62 macrumors member

I have a late 2011 13"MacBook Pro which I upgraded with an SSD lately. It only has 4Mb Ram and I want to increase it as I frequently have to have several intensive apps working/open lots of tabs etc. I see that Apple say that 8Mb is the max, and yet I see many reports of users upgrading to 16Mb and claiming it works well..

Amazon has a modest sale today (Crucial 8Mb x2 and 1600Mhz rather than 1333) and I'm wondering if I will actually take a performance hit by using more than the recommended RAM or if not a hit, then receive no benefit above 8Mb.

Any thoughts?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 20, 2016 ---
    Apologies to posters and forum users. I see that several threads covered this very issue. Mods please delete my thread - Thanks.

2. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

It supports up to 16GB RAM. Whether you want to spend that much on RAM is up to you.

3. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Depends what your doing. If your doing light usage such as Email, web browsing etc you won't see much benefit from having 16MB.

You've already upgraded the slowest device - which was the hard disk, to SSD, which makes a significant difference.

Definitely upgrade to at least 8MB.. 4MB is paltry.

4. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

5. robvas macrumors 68020

-most- people won't really benefit from 16GB.

6. Totally Bored macrumors member

Totally Bored

I put 16GB in a 2011. The difference between 8GB and 16GB was $7.

Just do it :)

7. Riptide62 thread starter macrumors member

The information here proved very helpful. Anyway, just went ahead and ordered it.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

The main bottleneck is always the hdd.
    Mavericks and newer seem to be optimized for ssds.

I upgraded my 2012 mini with the stock hdd first from 4gb to 10gb and it made quite the difference even with basic tasks.

Because I got a really cheap deal on another ram stick I then went to 16gb and saw absolutely no difference even when running several adobe cloud apps.

The bottleneck with me is still the hdd and I am planning on changing that soon.

9. cfuller4080 macrumors newbie

I have a Mid-2014 Mac Book Pro with 8GB Ram. I run Parallels on it daily for my business. I have noticed my memory pressure is always on a fine line of "good/green" with using 7.50-7.65GB then it will go yellow and stay in the same range of 7.50-7.65GB memory used then go back to green but it bounces back and forth every 5 mins or so... Only thing I use on the windows side is Internet Explorer(my industry has a few carriers that only work on IE), Microsoft Office products(not often), and Outlook 100% of the time.

If I'm not using those I'll be on the Mac side. I leave Parallels running in the background because I need to use Outlook on the windows side for a plugin that will only work on windows and not on the mac side. I've had Parallels on this computer for almost 2 years with no issues.

My computer is running perfect but the wife has been bugging me that she wants a new computer so I was thinking of giving this one to her and upgrading to a newer Mac but I don't think I need the 16GB ram, but then I don't want to have issues with Ram or the computer failing because I'm running it near the max... I only keep computers every 3-4 years at a max.

How much of an improvement did it make going to the 16GB when running Parallels, what did you notice that was different?