8gb or 16gb?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by justan, Nov 7, 2008.

1. justan macrumors member

So i want an ipod touch. I plan on getting one from the Refurb store at apple. I gotta few questions, not just about the memory but i guess the touches in general.

1.Any problems with refurbed touches?
    2.Can refurbed ones be jailbroken?
    3.Can they still be restored the same if there was any jailbreaking issues?
    4.Is there really any difference between a refurb and a brand new one?

Ok...now for the main question...the storage. Right now i have a 1gig shuffle2g I dont like the shuffle cuz i cant see what im listening to. I love tons of bands but dont even have 1gb full of songs on there. Would you reccomend the 8 or 16? Id kinda like the 16 because i would want some videos and stuff on there. Id get the 32 but aint got the cash right now. I also plan on getting lots of apps. What would you reccommend i get? Thanks,

Justan

2. vorkorsigan macrumors member

No difference between refurb and new just someone returned and apple checked it and dropped the price.

Buy as big as you can. 8Gb is OK for music, 16 or more if you want video.

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

The answer to cover all of your questions: no.

As for the size, random people on a forum cannot dictate your needs. If you don't have 8gb of content and don't foresee that in the near future, then there's no need to overspend. Worst case, you'll only be able to carry around a large portion of your collection. If you need to always have everything with you after you've expanded beyond that point, then the choice is obvious. If money is an issue, though, why bother spending more on something that really carries no significant benefit? The choice is yours, nobody on here will make it for you. I'm sure someone will tell you to buy the most expensive thing, but be aware that it's not always the smartest move.

4. pkagel macrumors regular

No problem with refurbs and if there is you just take it to the apple store and they give you a new one. Not a bad deal at all. Get the 16gb one if you can at all afford it or even the 32gb one if you can swing that. You'll eventually fill it up.

5. justan thread starter macrumors member

6. pkagel macrumors regular

refurbs are no different than original ones so yes, if you so desire.

7. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

well as of NOW the referb is a generation older (no speaker, no volume buttons, mics wont work) and will stay that way untill after the holidays.

i say 8gig. u have 1 gig of music and TOPS 1 gig of apps thats only like 2gb used.

8. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Half correct. They also put a new case on it. After all, they do need to allot it it's own serial number...

9. polopimpboy macrumors newbie

1.no
    2.yes
    3.yes
    4.nothing besides the box they come in and the price :)

Get the 16. more memory is always better

10. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

More memory is not better if you won't use it. In that situation, spending less money and still getting a product that fits your needs is better.

To be honest, this is the wrong place to ask, believe it or not. Many people here will advise the biggest and best, because they're enthusiasts, and that's what they'd buy, though to be honest, most of the respondents so far have been thinking the same as me; buy what you need.

You sound like the 8gb would do you fine; some music, a few videos - depending on conversion, a film is around 800 - 1000mb.

That said, you said at the end that if you had the money, you'd get a 32, so I'm not sure why you're not just going for a 16, if you can afford that.

11. justan thread starter macrumors member

I think ill get the 16. I mean for only 50 bucks more and double the memory i might as well. Im getting into more and more bands so im sure i could fill up at least half the memory with songs and videos with room to spare.

12. .mak macrumors newbie

If you happen to be a government employee (or don't mind circumventing the system), you can order from the Apple EPP store for an additional $20 off of that Touch. I happen to have a family member who works for MNDot, and I just ordered my iPod Touch 32GB (refurb.) for $336.27 shipped Next Day Mail through them.

Link