8gb or 32gb ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gottalovemacs, Dec 17, 2009.

1. gottalovemacs macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting an ipod touch for christmas. I can't decide between the 8gb and 32gb. Right now I am in favor of the 8gb. Because the 8gb is one hundred dollars less that the 32gb, I will be able to update it sooner. How fast does the 8gb fill up when you have mostly apps and movies? Maybe one or two movies at a time and about ten or so pages of apps (if it can take that many). How noticeable is the faster processor? I am planning on using it a lot for web browsing. Also, can you make the ipod touch go to sleep from the voice control?

Thanks.:D:D::confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

8GB is nothing nowadays. U can never have enough storage space.

3. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

the 8gb doesnt have the newer processor its just a 2g i would get the 3g 32gb its speedier and you will be able to run the newer apps with prettier graphics and movies take up alot of space and it all depends on the apps you install. go bigger more space is better.

4. gottalovemacs thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont know... If I get 8gb I can upgrade next year. But, maybe I should just get the 32gb. Or, I could get a 16gb from amazon for $230. What does it take to fill a 8gb?

Thanks for the amazingly quick responses!!

5. pilotrtc macrumors regular

I have:

2233 songs taking up 13.53 GB
    15 videos taking up 1.81 GB (11 of which are 23 minutes long)
    85 applications taking up 217.8 MB

Of course how you save the songs and video will determine how much space they take up.

You won't miss the $100 when you've passed the 8GB but I'll bet you'll regret not spending the $100 when you can't fit all you want on there.

6. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

8G is the same as the slower last gen iPod Touch. At the very least, get the 32G Touch. I highly recommend getting the 64G (double the storage for $100.00 more).

7. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Watch the refurb store and pick up a 16gb for $199? Or the 8gb on there for $149?

I'd go for the 32gb and plan to skip a generation for upgrading.....

8. gottalovemacs thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I know that the 8gb is the same as the 2nd gen ipod touch. I just don't know if it is worth it to get the 32gb when I can get the 16gb for $200 right now from the apple store.

Once again I ask, how noticeable is the faster processor.:confused:

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Depends on what you are using the Touch for. If you play complex games a lot, very noticable. Video/music, can't say I've noticed much difference. Internet browsing, slightly faster.

10. gottalovemacs thread starter macrumors newbie

Would you say it is worth $70 for the faster processor? Keep in mind that I can get the 16gb for $200.

11. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Depends, if you said you do a lot of web surfing on it, then the new processor and graphics will speed up the rendering of the pages.

12. Skyhigh223 macrumors regular

Keep an eye out on the Apple refurb store.

Get a 16gb off there for a lot cheaper than on Amazon.
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod

If I were you, I'd go for the 32GB. It won't be (as) out of date next year so you won't even need to upgrade it.

It's a good amount of storage space, and it has a faster processor.

- Oh, but the faster processor does mean less battery life. Apple fail to mention it, but the 8gb still has 36 hours of audio playback, and the 32gb+ have only 30 hours.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I can't say, because I don't know what $70 is worth for you. For myself, I never even considered getting the 8gb, because I felt it was silly to buy a "new" product with last year's technology, even if it was cheaper.

14. gottalovemacs thread starter macrumors newbie

I will go to the apple store right now and test out the processors. It looks like I might just go with the 32gb...

15. gottalovemacs thread starter macrumors newbie

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The rule of thumb with technology is, if in doubt, buy the fastest/biggest/latest model you can afford.

17. gottalovemacs thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL!!!!:D:D:D:D I will keep that in mind...

18. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I love my touch.

I don't like that it is 8gb.

It's too small and i try not to curse daily that I had to spend the money I had saved for my 32/64 version on some stuff that I should not had to.

Buy the 32 and you will no regret it. Buy the 8 and find youself me in a few months... Longing for more space!

That help?

19. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

Get the 32GB. When I first got my iPod touch 1G I thought 8GB would be plenty and it was.........until the App Store came out. Now i'm deleting applications just to put songs on my iPod and I wouldn't even think about putting a movie on it.

20. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

8GB isn't really that useable IMHO. It will fill up before you know it. At least with 32GB, you can load it up somewhat. I have a 32GB touch, and the music alone on it would fill the 8GB.

Also, the faster processor is really noticeable. My Touch is a 1st Gen, while I also have an iPhone 3GS. The difference in speed is night and day. You can really tell that all aspects of the iphone are faster. The new generation touch has the same processor as the 3GS.

It's a no brainer. Spend the cash and get the 32GB.

21. gottalovemacs thread starter macrumors newbie

A little...

I still don't know. The thing is that I just don't have that much media that I need to carry around with me all the time. Lets say that I have 3gb of music, 2gb of movies and the rest apps. Most of the time I will have my macbook, so I can switch out media. I could get the 8gb, then upgrade in a year and a half.;) That is sounding good to me right now.

BUT, if you all think that I should just suck up and get the 32gb, maybe that is what I should do.

22. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

suck it up and go balls out on the 32GB one. Nuff said already.

23. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Suck. it. up. :D

381 songs
    10 videos (3 music videos, 1 movie (Pirates 2, 525mb), 3 30min kids shows, other short stuff from my cell phone to show a doctor)
    165 photos (all screen shots or small saved from emails)
    225 apps (including some BIG ones)

I'm out of space. Granted, the apps are killing me - but i have 4 people sharing the device - so they are varied (myself and my 3 kids).

Suck it up :D

Attached Files:

24. gottalovemacs thread starter macrumors newbie

How many pages of apps do you have?

It seems like I will have to go with the 32gb...

25. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

11+search, it shows them all in iTunes though - so it's 14 I think.

I deleted the music videos last night after I realized they were sucking up space (they were a kids, not mine!) and a play list of songs because I just listen to one and haven't been playing the music triva game, I now have another movie on there since I cleared some space.

It's a constant shuffle, I knew when I bought it 8 was too small foe me though. I had the money for the bigger, but was waiting for the iPod event. Some household issues came up, and I decided to spend it rather than wait a week for the keeper of the household funds to get here. Sigh.... I wish I had at least sprung for the 16 refurb in hindsight (this was in July so it wasn't $199).

Seriously, go for the 32. That you are questioing it means you know it might be an issue for you.

My kids can tell the difference between my dads 1g and my 2nd when playing games. However, my mom just got an 8gb. It should be fine for her, she won't put any music on it (has an 80gb video for that).