8gb Ram 2010 MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by imswimmin, May 15, 2011.

1. imswimmin macrumors regular

I've always been wondering. Has anyone successfully managed to "hack" their system and get 8gb or ram working on their 2010 MBA?

2. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

You would need to solder on the sticks.. it actually is probably doable but again it would be such a big pita.

3. negatv1 macrumors 6502

To make matters worse there are no 'sticks' to solder. Other than possibly removing the surface mounted RAM chips from the motherboard and replacing them with larger capacity chips. Would take some real skills and some hardware other than a soldering iron.

4. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

In school when I took a smt class we used a conveyor belt which was heated at different temperatures depending on where on the conveyor belt the boards were.So the different stages the solder would melt and cool. Dealing with surface mount technology is not easy. You can't just grab a solder iron and solder away. You need microscopes and such to actually see what your doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

Also the board is multilayered and one wrong move or if you hit the board with the soldering iron and damage one of the layers underneath kiss the board goodbye. There's no repairing that, not to mention how hard it is to actually repair the surface layer as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. aleni macrumors 68020

if u can solder 8GB into the new 13" air, I'm sure someone here would buy it for $3000 in a heart beat.

7. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

LOL, it's funny because they really would.