8gb ram, 2TB HDD - WHY SO SLOW???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tufluf, Apr 22, 2012.

1. tufluf macrumors newbie

Hey guys, Im new to this, usually i find my answer from a question someone else has already asked, but I have a 2009 20" iMac (2.66ghz).
    It originally had 2gb of ram and a 320gb hard drive.
    I upgraded to 8gb ram and it ran like a dream.
    Yesterday I replaced my hard drive with a 2tb internal hard drive, and since then it's started running really slow...
    Apps taking a long time to load, safari too, and general stuff like saving a file takes a lot of time to process.

I have repaired the disk using disk utility but it said it was all ok, i am currently defraging which I am hoping might help? I don't know much about this stuff, but is my computer too old to run such a big hard drive?? What else could it be?
    I appreciate any help.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Did you restore from a back up?

I would back up your files and then reinstall OS X and then copy your files back.

3. simsaladimbamba

4. 141n5 macrumors member

I was having similar problems until I found a thread on checking the activity monitor where I found a dashboard client hogging CPU use.

Searched here and found steps on here and Apple on how to clear out the offending p.list file

Downloaded and ran an Onyx to clean to purge caches etc.

Rebooted with a PRAM reset

and it was like having a new machine.

Tips that worked for me...

5. tufluf thread starter macrumors newbie

I restored from time machine... Would it be better if I just reinstall osx and move files back from external hard drive?
    Sorry, serious newbie..!

6. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

Is your new drive a "green" one if so I believe they run slower to be more efficient therefor may be slower in operation

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

8. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I generally find restoring to be less successful in your situation than installing a new system and then using setup assistant to migrate from your backup.

But check Activity Monitor and Console to see what's going on, and try starting up with a new user account. Those steps often identify a wonky application or process that's holding everything up.