8GB RAM: Better to have 8 or 4 black boxes on the actual module?

Vyruz Reaper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
I hope you understand what I am talking about. I thought having 4 bigger boxes are better than have 8 small ones. Can someone explain to me what they are exactly and if it makes a difference?

thanks!

Vyruz Reaper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
I hope you understand what I am talking about. I thought having 4 bigger boxes are better than have 8 small ones. Can someone explain to me what they are exactly and if it makes a difference?

thanks!
Ok i found some pics for you guys:

4 big ones :

8 small ones:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The little boxes are the actual ram chips. If you have 8 then the chips are low density. 4 means high density. I'm not sure if one is better then the other.

Vyruz Reaper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
The little boxes are the actual ram chips. If you have 8 then the chips are low density. 4 means high density. I'm not sure if one is better then the other.
well low density ram is better but Im still not sure if 8 or 4 ram chips are better

intelgrande

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
While I'm sure there is some difference, it's by no means any common knowledge, and it honestly doesn't matter either way. There are other factors that are more important such as the RAM timings, frequency, etc. Generally speaking though, especially for an MBP, you're not going to notice any difference in performance. If the speed of the modules are comparable, I'd just go with the cheaper set as long as it's from a reputable brand.

Vyruz Reaper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
While I'm sure there is some difference, it's by no means any common knowledge, and it honestly doesn't matter either way. There are other factors that are more important such as the RAM timings, frequency, etc. Generally speaking though, especially for an MBP, you're not going to notice any difference in performance. If the speed of the modules are comparable, I'd just go with the cheaper set as long as it's from a reputable brand.
it came down to OWC vs Kingston vs Crucial all which were around 270 bucks.

I could get g. Skill, nuram, mushkin all for about 215ish so is it worth the extra 60 dollars or so for owc, kinston or crucial?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I don't think it matters as long as you buy the same for both sticks (though I think you can mix as well).

If you're in the US, just buy them from OWC. You can't go wrong there!

Vyruz Reaper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
I don't think it matters as long as you buy the same for both sticks (though I think you can mix as well).

If you're in the US, just buy them from OWC. You can't go wrong there!
I already bought the 8GB Kingston kit

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
There are no differences in performance.

Each 'black box' is a ram module. For a 4GB stick, you will see 8 of them. 512MB each module. For the 2GB stick, you may see either depending on whether they are using 512mb or 256mb modules.

Just make sure you get CAS latency 7 or below for MBPs. Also, make sure you have a well known brand and lifetime warranty.

Vyruz Reaper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
There are no differences in performance.

Each 'black box' is a ram module. For a 4GB stick, you will see 8 of them. 512MB each module. For the 2GB stick, you may see either depending on whether they are using 512mb or 256mb modules.

Just make sure you get CAS latency 7 or below for MBPs. Also, make sure you have a well known brand and lifetime warranty.
So another question, do these ram modules come in 1Gb form? or are they all 512 or 256?

Vyruz Reaper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
I was going to return my Kingston RAM and try out crucial. But kingston's ram has been working, it doesnt have any problems, so why switch? Il just stick with kingston(although the crucial ram is about 15 dollars cheaper)

thanks for everyone's help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.