8GB RAM for 15 unibody

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by volcom1151, Mar 26, 2009.

  1. volcom1151 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2009
    #1
    I have the 2.4GHz unibody macbook pro 15-inch, right now it is possible for me to get the 4GB of RAM but the 2.66 and 2.93 can handle 8GB of RAM. With snow leopard will it be possible for the 2.4GHz to run with 8GB of RAM....? or is 4GB still the max due to my 2.4GHz processor

    I also see on forums people talking about 2 X 4 but they are talking about 6GB...I don't know computers that well can you help me here.

    My question is what is the maximum RAM for the 2.4GHz with snow leopard and/or leopard??
     
  2. jeremybuff macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2009
    Location:
    Asheville, NC
    #2
    15" UMBP can hold a max of 6 GBs of ram, but you loose dual channel since you would have to have 1 4GB and 1 2GB. sticks. Not sure if it's worth it, you'd have to wait for others to reply. By the way, it's the motherboard that allows for the extra ram, since Leopard is capable of.. 32 GBs of RAM, I think..
     
  3. Thiol macrumors 6502a

    Thiol

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    #3
    Other sites are reporting that some of the 15" unibodies are capable of handling 8 GB RAM:
    http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._memory_upgrade_kits_for_15_macbook_pros.html
     
  4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

    ViciousShadow21

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2009
    Location:
    To your left or right
    #4
    for 95% of users dual channel is useless. i just recently upgraded to 6GB and i have seen quite a difference. dont miss the dual channel at all.
     
  5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

    chrmjenkins

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2007
    Location:
    CA
    #5
    For the same chipset, processor speed has nothing to do with the max RAM it can take.
     
  6. RKpro macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2008
    #6
    I think all unibody MBPs can handle 8GB, since they are the same in terms of hardware (except the CPUs), so I think a future software update might fix this.
     
  7. jeremybuff macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2009
    Location:
    Asheville, NC
    #7
    Great to hear! I had heard on a few other threads here on MR that the dual channel was more important in the DDR3. Admittedly, I have no idea what would be best. You advice has helped, thanks for setting the record straight!
     
  8. J-mizzle macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2007
    #8
    what exactly is dual channel important for? you say 95% won't miss it, why will the other 5% be disappointed/how do I know if I'm one of them?
     
  9. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

    ViciousShadow21

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2009
    Location:
    To your left or right
    #9
    dual channel is good for software that runs in "real time." the best example of a real time program is if you were in air traffic control. there are other examples but that is the best one that i always use.
     
  10. 11800506 macrumors 65816

    11800506

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2007
    Location:
    Washington D.C. Area
    #10
    Well currently 8 gb of RAM aren't officially supported in the 15" 2.66 and 2.93 MBPs, but Apple recently posted upgrade kits to their website for those models for 8 gb of Ram and there have been some posts on the forum saying that it works. However, no one seems to know if the 2.4 model supports 8 gb of Ram as well. I don't know why it wouldn't, although supposedly Apple doesn't have the 8 gb upgrade kit on their website for the 2.4 model. For sure, 6 gb is supported on all models, but the support of 8 gb isn't a sure.
     
  11. ayeying macrumors 601

    ayeying

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2007
    Location:
    Yay Area, CA
    #11
    2.4 won't work. 2.53 or 2.8 won't work either. the 2.66 and 2.93 might work because they share the chipset with the 17 inch. the 2.4 uses the MacBook based chips and therefore won't work. that goes for the 2.53 and 2.8 also.
     
  12. benrockwood macrumors member

    benrockwood

    Joined:
    May 28, 2009
    #12
    It works for me on SL 10.6.4 on 64bit using OWC 8gb memory

    Ben
     

Share This Page