8GB RAM for MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dave Felix, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

I have a mbp 2.66ghz i7 with 4gb ddr3 memory. I hardly use all 4 gb but for only $100 I could upgrade it to 8gb.. is it worth it? has anyone upgraded their mbp's to 8gb memory?

Since we're on the subject everyone post your RAM so I can get an idea!!

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

What do you do with it?

Why would you pay $100 for something that you will not ever use or need? Seems like a waste of money to me. I would wager that the vast majority of computer users need nowhere even close to 8GB of memory. It's not going to do anything for you if you aren't already taxing 4GB.

3. Dave Felix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

im going to get into video editing when Im finished with school for personal use and you're right I will never use 8gb but whats the harm? Im not rich and throwing out money but I remember when I purchased RAM for windows and paid over $150 for 4gb total.

http://osxdaily.com/2010/11/17/macbook-pro-8gb-ram-upgrade-review/

4. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

If you're buying more memory that you will never use and will not give you any benefit, then yes, you ARE throwing away money.

But hey, it's your money. Not mine.

5. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

I think that 8GB RAM would really benefit you since you'd like to do some video editing, I currently have a Crucial 8GB in my 2010 MBP 13", and it is awesome, as I do video and photo editing, JAVA and flash work, it really does make a difference than a 4GB memory.

I would advise you to stick with Crucial, as they are very reliable and high quality, upgrade your RAM to 8GB, its only £70 at Crucial and literally takes 2 minutes to install, and you can always sell your old 4GB memory for some profit :)

Remember what Apple charges you for a cheap Korean branded 'Hynix' memory modules? You could buy a house.

6. Dave Felix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

thank you a good response after selling back it could be around 60 or 50 bucks outta my pocket to upgrade to the best. therefore later down the road I wont have to worry about it.