8GB RAM: How cheap will it get

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daneoni, Sep 12, 2010.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I was wondering if DDR3 RAM will still drop or if like SSD it is a perpetually pricey product.

I can get 2x 4GB stick for £178 (its £320 from Apple) is this a good price or will it drop to under £100 in the future?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It will drop over time - it is still relatively new - but at some point it will bottom out. We just don't know what that point is yet.

3. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

RAM is always changing in pricing based on the basics of supply and demand plus the value of your local currency. I only use Corsair RAM because of their lifetime warranty and their very high quality.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's getting cheaper and cheaper but I think it won't come down that much anymore. Not that long ago, it was like 500$. 2x2GB, however, has stayed at ~100$. Nowadays you can get 2x4GB for nearly the same $/GB as 2x2GB, that means it won't be coming as aggressively as it used to.

RAM prices change all the time and not always positively. I remember 2x2GB being like 60$ and now it's 100$. Buy it when you need it, the price is good now

5. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

6. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

Actually...

I upgraded from 4GB to 8GB in the 2010 MBP you see in my sig and it only cost me $200. That's great!! VMware Fusion 3 has no lag I don't ever have to restart my MBP to regain RAM.

Application complexity and the need for RAM are directly related. You see, as applications grow in complexity (all the time) it increases the need for more RAM. So as time passes, you be able to get 8GB for the price of what 4GB was a couple years ago, and be able to run your applications, but I'm pretty sure 16GB will be the norm and will cost what 8GB does today.

BTW. I bought 8GB (2 4GB) Dual channel memory from Mushkin that performs like a champ! It also has a lifetime warranty.

7. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

I see. Thanks.

8. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

There is a predicted oversupply of DRAM chips for the end of 2010 and early 2011 so prices will hit the bottom then and probably rise again. Dirt cheap ram sounds fun for a while but it's usually followed by manufacturers going bankrupt and then prices rise even higher than before. Just like it happened the previous time.

I doubt we will see 8gb for less than 120-130. A couple of years ago you could get 4gb for 50 but I don't think it will happen.

So end of the year or early 2011 should be the time to upgrade. But the price difference won't be tragic, so if you need RAM now, do yourself a favor and get it.

9. Reapur macrumors regular

I have heard a lot of people in the UK using OWC, and even you have to pay a small brokerage it will still be way cheeper than buying ram from Apple, which is a massive rip off.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/8566DDR3S8GP/

$229.99 US is only 149.18 quid. As you see a world of difference from Apple. Dont bother with buying ram upgrades from Apple it just doesnt make sense, ram is more or less all the same for notebooks and have the same samsung memory modules.

10. demonsavatar macrumors regular

Right now its around $180, with some 4GB x 2 sets on sale for ~$160 (go look at Newegg). Don't expect it to get much cheaper than $150 over the next couple months.

11. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

There is a DRAM glut coming with a year or so I've heard

12. mikepro macrumors 6502

How much benefit will an i5 15" MBP get by upgrading from 4 to 8GB of ram?

13. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

depends what you do on the 15" MBP

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So what do you do on your MBP? How RAM do you have free and how much is inactive?

15. mikepro macrumors 6502

Ah, typical things, web browse, itunes, picasa.

- Starting to do a bit with iMovie. Really basic for now.
    - I will be running Parallels 6 and the occasional Win 7 or Linux VM, once I get bootcamp setup and receive parallels 6. This is probably the biggest RAM hog, but I won't do it very often.
    - Starcraft 2.
    - Bootcamp if Starcraft 2 performance in Mac makes me sad, which it does not (so far)
    - Transcoding video with handbrake

Just wondering if general OS and typical usage snappiness will improve much going from 4GB to 8GB, as it is ~$160. This is my first Mac ever, (I love it so far!), and one thing I find is that I tend to leave applications open, as when you minimize them with the red button, they don't close, but just go down to the doc. So, wondering how efficient the OS is at returning those applications memory to my 4gb pool when they are minimized.

Maybe I would be better off putting that RAM money towards Applecare or saving for an SSD?

16. hasole macrumors member

Macsales.com have it cheap at the moment, I just ordered some US$172

17. vant macrumors 65816

SC2 doesn't need 8GB of RAM. In fact it probably will never use the extra 4GB unless you are running something in the background.

You need 8GB when you are doing things like VM or editing 3GB+ files.

Otherwise, it is a waste.

SSDs on the other hand will always provide you with performance no matter what you do. It even helps your computer turn on and shut down faster.

18. ihonda macrumors 68000

thanks

19. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

I might get some by black friday but I'm wondering if I would see any difference, 3.5gb gets used when I render in final cut

20. Heavenly macrumors member

Heavenly

Yep; RAM makes a much bigger difference in editing programs than anything else.

21. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

That was one of my benefits as well. That and an SSD, and when I run Win 7 and Office 2010 under VMware Fusion, it really feels like being on a PC. Things are nice and fast.

22. Absent macrumors member

Newegg had a deal the other day on Gskill 2x4GB sets for $160 shipped. Don't know if it's expired yet. Mine is still on its way.

23. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I didn't know the prices dropped that much. The price seems more than fair.