8gb Ram In 15" Unibody Mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by npdale, Jan 12, 2009.

1. npdale macrumors member

Anyone know why the 15" Uni Body MBP Can only handle 4 GB and the 17" can handle 8GB... Can't figure out the reason...

I have a 17" MBP now and use it as my main computer but just started a business and am investing in a 15" MBP and selling my 17" Matte MBP as I have or will have a mac pro when it gets updated...

But can't figure the 4GB/8GB thing...

Also to add my pennies to the debate -- Glossy/Matte doesn't matter... calibrate and you can't go wrong.. :)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They have serious issues with 8GB, but 6GB works.

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

The 17" MIGHT have a newer chipset driver. We'll have to see when it comes out.

4. MarkSTi04 macrumors regular

I think the newer faster processors hints to the reason why the 17" supports 8gig of ram. My educated guess that the chip set is newer than the 15" and there must be a better driver along with it. When I seen the option for the 8gig I was a bit surprised but then started to rethink my choice for the 15" MBP. I just want to know if the 17" MBP can be upgraded to 8gig easily with out paying $1200 for the ram like apple charges.

If the 15" gets a update that would enable it to run 8gigs of ram with no problems I would get that one instead. I'm just pickey!

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Chipset and core clock aren't related. The better driver is most likely part of a special build for the 17" model, and will be added to the rest of the machines with 10.5.7 (or maybe 10.6 if it's out by then)

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I have a strong irk deep in my gut that only the new 17" mbp will be able to use 8gb of RAM.

7. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Apple probably just limited it via the firmware to differentiate the 17" unit. I have a feeling they'll remove the restriction in the next model though. But you never know.