8GB RAM (Late 2008 MBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brien, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Got off the phone with a CSR. I asked her about the RAM ceiling in the new MBP, and if it was a 4GB hardware limitation. From what she told me, it isn't, but rather a marketing decision as 4GB DDR3 SODIMMs are too expensive (and too small quantities available) for Apple to offer, but that the chipset should be able address 8GB.

Let's hope this is true!

2. Aranince macrumors 65816

It's true for the older Penryn MBP, so the new ones should be able to for sure.

3. b_boy macrumors newbie

I have another thread on here of a similar nature. It's not a deal breaker for me, but with Snow Leop. and the ability to address, someday I may want the capacity.

Maybe we can get a real guru to answer from an Intel/Nvidia Montevina/Nehelam perspective.

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Just like the 4 GB of DDR2 back in 2007 it's just to expensive for 4GB DDR3 SODIMMs.

Better luck next year after Intel saturates the market with DDR3 wanting hardware.

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It is also that apple switched over to nVidia chipsets so theres a possibility that 8GB won't be compatable in the late 08 MB/MBP.

7. 11800506 macrumors 65816

The previous gen Macbook Pros can already address that much RAM so these should be able to as well.

8. MBX macrumors 65816

Can somebody confirm that it's really possible to put in 8gb ram in the 2008 mbp's (not the new ones of today)?

last thing i heard is that 8gb slows things down but 6gb works perfect.

so what's the case?

and where can you buy single 4gb ram sticks for the mbp?

any links?

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

8 gigs works, but things slow down once you breach 4 gb of RAM. 6 gb of RAM does not have this problem. There's an issue with OS X, because MBP runs just fine with 8 gb of RAM under Vista 64 in Boot Camp.

10. MBX macrumors 65816

That's strange, i thought os-x was 64bit? What was all the fuss about then...
    And Mac Pro's can handle up to 32gb of ram so it must be only with os-x in combination with the macbook pro then?

And anybody know of places to buy those single 4gb sticks for the mbp?

11. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

12. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Consensus seems that the Installer detects MP vs. MBP (and probably MB and iMac) and does the install differently. But it's been done. You can search down the next page or two and look for 6 gb vs. 8 gb in the title.

13. LinMac macrumors 65816

I am waiting for datamem.com to offer the 4GB SODIMMs that are compatible with the Macbook Pro. I'm going to at least give it a go because 8GB of ram is just too tempting to pass up.

I run virtual machines so running a lot of them all at once would be a very handy tool.

14. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Not a valid argument especially since chipsets are different now. If they were the same or from the same company, yes. Right now, it is uncertain if it'll work beyond 4GB ram.

15. MBX macrumors 65816

I looked into the original 8GB Ram thread and it says that if you add 6 or 8gb of ram you lose dual-channel. For users who use 3d apps it's not a good thing.

What exactly does that mean? And how are 3d apps affected by it?

16. Brien thread starter macrumors 68020

Brien

I don't know about 3d apps, all I know is dual-channel offers something in the area of 10% performance increase.

I think 6+ gb would be a fine trade-off. If this is an Apple-designed, or NVIDIA-designed board, then it may well not support more than 4 but the CSR said it would. I'd love to find out myself but like we've found, few, if any, 4gb sticks exist.

17. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I take it you don't know? Apple's latest incarnations of the MacBook/MacBookPro doesn't have Intel's next generation Chipset, Apple have dumped them in favour of nVidia GeForce 9400M with combined GPU. And in the case of the 'Pro' they've added an additional GPU, the 9600M GT with either 256/512MB. The only "intel" thing in the new line up is the CPU!

One can only assume this 'chipset' isn't ready got 8Gb or RAM! Beside's nVidia doesn't make great chipsets in my opinion, they're more aimed at the ProGames market...

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It shouldn't be a chipset issue, since Thinkpads with the same chipset could use the full 8GB without any hiccups.