8GB RAM limit on Quad Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ElSkribento, Mar 7, 2009.

1. ElSkribento macrumors newbie

In macstore there is an eight gb RAM limit on the single CPU Mac Pro, and I've heard that limit used as an argument for getting the dual CPU version instead (because it offers the possibility of using more RAM).

But looking through the mainboards for the i7 Nehalem there isn't anyone with less than a 12GB limit (and the Xenon ought to be able to use more than the i7 i think) some even support 24GB, so I'm inclined to believe that the 8GB isn't a limit per se and that you could buy more 3'rd party RAM and put in (I you have free slots)

Any opinions?

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

lots of opinions. in the threads that were started to discuss this issue the day the new mac pros were announced.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Rumor says they're going to try 4 GB density RAM in the quad Mac Pro.

4. ElSkribento thread starter macrumors newbie

Looking at the configuration options on the 8 core model where the 4GB modules are available, I'm gonna take a guess that it's the price that is hampering them on the quad model. The opgrade price in the danish macstore for 32GB is almost 15 times more expensive than 16GB :eek:

5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I don't know if this is a possibility for you, not being in the US. but, some companies, such as Other World Computing, give you money for "trading in" your stock RAM for their RAM, making that pill a little easier to swallow.

6. ElSkribento thread starter macrumors newbie

7. KelchM macrumors regular

3 matching dimms is the optimal configuration, not 4.

8. ElSkribento thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I know. I've ordered my Quad with 3x2GB but if I end up needing those extra 2 GB for VmWare I guess I'll have to sacrifice the performance of triple channel...