8gb ram modules in mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kxfrog, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

As far as I know, Mac Pros only support 4GB modules

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It should but no one seems to have confirmed whether Registered modules will work in a Mac Pro. Your best bet is to buy it and try if you want it. You can return it under the distance selling laws. You could also try and email crucial and ask them to test it.

3. kxfrog thread starter macrumors regular

on owc website it seems to indicate their ram is buffered, is this registered does that means this crucial ram will work?

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The OWC DRR3 modules are unbuffered.

There is no reason for Registered memory support to be removed by Apple, if it is even something you can turn off, but they have been known to do odd things. I don't think the single socket chipsets (not just Apple) are yet certified by Intel for 8GB DIMMs. I don't know if those DIMMs have the thermal sensor the qualified Apple DIMMs have. That all said it would still probably work. You wouldn't do any harm to anything by trying if you really want 24GB on a quad.

The other option is to trade up to an 8 core and use 4GB DIMMs. Probably cheaper too especially if you can get a refurb as the 8 cores have a big saving. Maybe not the solution you really want, but possibly the better one to go for.