8GB RAM options?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigcat, Jun 9, 2009.

1. bigcat macrumors 6502

Folks,

I am new to MBPs. I want to buy the new 15" that supports 8GB. I need 8GB (please don't ask why). As you know, Apple wants an extra $1K to add 4GB to the standard 4GB configuration. Are there less costly options? Can the RAM be bought and installed from someone else? I realize these new laptops were just released so there may not be a lot of info on this?

My guess is that the standard config would come with 2x2GB so none of it could be reused as I'd have to buy 2x4GB so it may be just as expensive not sure.

2. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

All I know, is I need 16GB, don't ask me why.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

4GB RAM is drastically more expensive than 2GB, but you will definitely find it cheaper elsewhere.
    IMO, it might be worth it just to buy from Apple because AppleCare will cover any problems you have with it, whereas buying from a third party only protects you for the first week or two (and most don't guarantee compatibility).

4. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

Only buy RAM and HDD upgrades from Apple if you don't mind spending some extra money. Usually it is way cheaper to buy these things via third parties. Either online or in a physical store. (I for myself go to a regular PC shop for this, as they have good prices and if something doesn't work, I can return it w/o much hassle.)