8GB RAM or regret?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by appleuserfan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. appleuserfan macrumors member

Hi guys, i need your advices.

I sold my iMac (i5 2.9, 16GB RAM, late 2012) for a MacBook Pro Retina 15" (i7 2.0, 8GB RAM, Late 2013) since i need a more portable solution without compromising performance.
    I'm currently using a new macbook (1.1, 8gb ram) and i haven't found any issues with RAM (max 100-200mb in swap when i do intensive activities), just with CPU (of course under pressure with intensive software etc).
    So, is really crazy to buy a macbook in 2016 with 8GB of RAM or is a great choice?
    I also read that there is not a big difference between 8 and 16, while there is a visibile difference in 4GB vs 8GB.

Waiting your considerations guys!

2. jerryk macrumors 68030

Depends what you do. If it is browsing the web, typing document, running spreadsheet, and a maybe a little light gaming than 8gb is find. If you do video, audio, or photo editing, CAD, or other intensive tasks you may find 8 GB to not be enough.

3. appleuserfan thread starter macrumors member

Web (sometime very intense), GIMP/Photoshop just for light/medium activities, some video editing light, basically nothing really intense.

My typical usage is with Google Drive, Spotify, Skype, Safari with 5-10 tabs.
    When i work hard: all the apps that i have wrote upside but safari will have 15-20 tabs, gimp/photoshop opened for a light usage.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

For that usage, you will be totally fine with 8GB. There is an interesting test here.

5. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

For that usage, I'm totally fine with 4 GB.

6. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

Using rMBP 2012 with 8GB with Logic Pro X...I'd say for your usage it's totally fine :).

7. appleuserfan thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all guys, now i'm a less nervous about my choice <3