8GB RAM update did not work for Macbook 7.1??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dipsbug, Nov 9, 2011.

1. dipsbug macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I had early 2011 Macbook white 7.1 (the last macbook white apple supplied). It came with 2GB (1GBx2) RAM. I read many articles online and decided to upgrade it to 8GB (4GBx2).

What i ordered was 2 RAM 4GB DDR3 1066MHz PC3-8500. After i got those two RAMs, I started replacing them, following trial errors took place:

1) When I replaced both 4GB (i.e. total 8GB) into my mac (removing both the hynix 1GB RAM PC3 8500S), macbook did not boot, it beeped many times and I had to shut it down.

2) When i put only one 4GB (i.e. total 4 GB) into my mac (keeping one channel open), macbook did not boot, it beeped many times and I had to shut it down.

3) Using the same method, i used 4GB in either channels, (only one 4GB RAM in either channels) macbook did not boot, it beeped many times and I had to shut it down.

4) When I put only one 1GB hynix (original) back in only one channel, macbook booted properly, no problem but it was slow.

5) When I put one 4GB (new RAM) and one !GB (hynix) original then computer booted, fast, the sytem shows now 5GB RAM.

However, as the memory size in both the channel is different so I think this would affect overall speed. Is it so?

Also, I wonder why macbook did not accepted 8GB memory (as internet and many youtube videos mention that it works)?

Why single 4GB RAM when inserted keeping one channel open, macbook did not start?

I am pretty confused with way macbook kept beeping, and also, regarding acceptance of new RAM, any problem with new RAMs??

Well, this is pretty weird, anyone would like to help me in this regard?

I ordered the RAM on ebay, the provider has sent the similar one that of Crucial memory.

The details of RAM shows:
    BANK 0/DIMM0:

Size: 1 GB
    Type: DDR3
    Speed: 1067 MHz
    Manufacturer: 0x80AD
    Part Number: 0x484D54313132533654465238432D47372020
    Serial Number: 0x1E1518D8

BANK 1/DIMM0:

Size: 4 GB
    Type: DDR3
    Speed: 1067 MHz
    Manufacturer: 0x80CE
    Part Number: 0x4D34373142353237334348302D4348392020
    Serial Number: 0x64133DA7

Should I return those 4GB RAM back and check with other supplier or try the hynix brand or this is usually the same problem??

2. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

3. mwhities macrumors 6502a

What do the beeps during the Power-On Self-Test (POST) mean?

The power-on self-test resides in the ROM of the computer. Only computers that are based on the ROM-in-RAM (New World) technology, such as the iMac, Power Macintosh G3 (Blue and White), Power Mac G4 (PCI Graphics), PowerBook (FireWire) and PowerBook G3 Series (Bronze keyboard) will generate these beeps.

This test runs whenever the computer is powered on After being fully shut down (the power-on self-test does not run if the computer is only restarted).

If a fault is detected during the test, you will not hear a normal startup chime. Instead, the system will beep as explained below.

If you experience one of these beeps, you should call your Apple-authorized service provider for additional troubleshooting assistance.

1 beep = No RAM installed/detected

2 beeps = Incompatible RAM type installed (for example, EDO)

3 beeps = No RAM banks passed memory testing

4 beeps = Bad checksum for the remainder of the boot ROM

5 beeps = Bad checksum for the ROM boot block

Products introduced after October, 1999 use a revised set of power on self-test beeps during startup.

The power on self-test resides in the ROM of the computer. This test runs whenever the computer is turned on after being fully shut down (the power-on self-test does not run if the computer is only restarted).

If a fault is detected during the test, you will not hear a normal startup chime. Instead, the system will beep as explained below.

If you experience one of these beeps, you may call your Apple Authorized Service Provider for additional troubleshooting assistance.

1 beep = no RAM installed

2 beeps = incompatible RAM types

3 beeps = no good banks

4 beeps = no good boot images in the boot ROM (and/or bad sys config block)

5 beeps = processor is not usable

In addition to the beeps, on some computers the power LED will flash a corresponding number of times plus one. The LED will repeat the sequence after approximately a 5-second pause. The tones are only played once.

Note: In this case, a flash is considered to be 1/4 second or 250 ms or greater in length.

Copied from: http://www.welovemacs.com/whdoallthbme.html

4. nicklad macrumors 6502

That's Samsung RAM you have. Personally, I would get yourself some Micron RAM from Crucial.