8GB Ram upgrade: Where to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jsnuff1, May 3, 2010.

1. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

Im looking into 8GB ram upgrade for my new i7 MBP, but prices for this upgrade are still steep as hell.

Anyone get good deals anywhere?

Im looking for good brands like crucial, kingston, and corsair (dont want to go to bargain unreliable brands)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

NewEgg has the cheapest RAM though it's Mushkin, it's very reliable. Their 2x2GB kit is the topseller with very good reviews. Lifetime warranty and normal replacement/refund policy so I would get it

3. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

Nonsense. The MBP comes with 2x2GB already and only has room for two sticks. It's the far more expensive 2x4GB he needs.
    I've noticed you giving out erroneous information very often in various threads. I hope you aren't costing people money with your regular ill-advice.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I gave that link so he can see how reputable Mushkin is... See the NewEgg link, it's 2x4GB. I know there is only two slots and he needs 2x4GB but seeing how doubtful he was about not-so-known brands, I wanted to give him some backup

EDIT: Please justify your statement

5. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

One example that comes to mind is telling people to return Macbook Pros if they hear any clicking sounds from the hard drive, when it is actually very common and normal due to the nature of the sudden motion circuitry. Anyway, this is someone else's thread so I've no more to add.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Everything I said was that return it if it annoys you, there is nothing wrong to demand a flawless MBP. I have three laptops, none of them making clicking sound, nor does my iMac. Crunching noise is normal when HD is accessed but clicking, of course depending how loud and often, isn't.

What did I do wrong here? Okay I admit that my post was little confusing but seeing how suspicious OP is/was about 3rd party brands, I wanted to give some backup how reputable Mushkin is. If I just gave him the 2x4GB link, he would've said that he don't want crappy Mushkin

7. Jof macrumors regular

"Crucial.com" < so says me and most apple shop employees when pressed.

8. nic.wise macrumors newbie

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

WOW! It has gone down by 20$! Last time I checked (last week) it was 367.99$ if I recall correctly. Would definitely get that!

10. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

11. jsnuff1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

12. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

I buy my MBP memory upgrades from TransIntl.com and OWC (MacSales.com). They have a good track record of quality, compatibility, price, and service to the Mac community.

13. lazarusbf macrumors member

lazarusbf

I am too still undecided about ordering 8GB straight from the AS (+400$) or doing the job myself. This only spares me 50$ and i'll have to do the upgrade myself. I know you then have 12GB in overall as MBP anyway come with 2x2 (useless) GB but you need to manage to sell those to someone afterwards for a worthy bonus/money save.
    Who would buy those 2x2GB rams or what for ? Can you tell ? thanks

14. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I've had problems in the past with after market memory. Even the good brands like Crucial and others. The challenge _can_ be troubleshooting it as well, since it tends to act intermittently. Those are the hardest problems to isolate.

I've removed the bottom of a Core i7 machine for a friend of mine, to install his after market memory. It's time consuming and a real pain. Plus it's not covered under warranty. While it does not void the warranty if you have a memory related problem you're on your own, and have to invest all that labor again.

What I noticed when I was configuring my new Core i7 15" MBP, is that Apple is actually cheaper and you get a system that is tested and ready to go. I like that idea a lot. Just take my new MacBook Pro out of the box, use it and enjoy it. No worries.

15. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I highly suggest you have your MBP setup with 8GB when you order it from Apple. Then you are ready to use it out of the box, you don't have to risk getting bad ram from a third party vendor and the warranty will take care of anything that goes wrong. A simple solution.

16. vant macrumors 65816

I highly suggest not to have your MBP setup from the factory with a pricy option you can do yourself. Apple charges $400 for the upgrade and you don't even get the 2x2GB chips.

Do it yourself and you can do it for under $300 if you sell your originals. Third party RAM has warranty also.

17. lazarusbf macrumors member

lazarusbf

I've finally decided to go for the simplest 17" (i5) that i can buy on the AS (or elsewhere) and buy 8GB RAM and a 160GB Intel SSD HD.
    Should not cost much more than the i7/8RAM/7200RPM i was about to order first.

My question is now: my friend living in the USA will bring it back to me over here in Belgium, and i wonder if a harddrive can face problems when xray-scanned or checked at the airport/customs ?

18. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Because I'm a student at UCLA, the discount lowered the price to $360.

And that's for high quality Apple spec RAM. Compared to Crucial and other top quality ram at far higher prices, that's a bargain.

Of course "cheap ram" has a warranty, they all do, that's no surprise.

However it one cannot afford that and must go "cheap" with one of the finest laptops made, then perhaps they are living beyond their means.

The obvious solution for this group is a "cheap" laptop, not a fine Apple MacBook Pro

19. jpeezy macrumors regular

20. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

LIke others who posted before me, I have bought RAM from OWC and was satisfied by the price, service, and quality of the modules. I upgraded my MBP to 6Gb, not 8Gb, because that's all the RAM it can reliably accommodate.

21. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

This is very tempting. I do want to max my RAM but I feel like I would get more cost benefit by doing the SSD upgrade first.

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Only 15 days warranty? On RAM?! I wouldn't trust RAM with 15 day warranty. :eek: